Do Differences in Meershaum Pipes Quality Exist ad/or Matter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is what I did. I contacted Burak, told him what I wanted and he made it happen. I will add that Burak was first class all the way in providing service to me. He is a nice guy who cares about his customers.
They really surprised me. I requested a particular pipe with an orange stem and Burak called me four days later about not one but two pipes. They made identical pipes but didn't know which type of orange stem I wanted so they made two to give me a choice.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
They really surprised me. I requested a particular pipe with an orange stem and Burak called me four days later about not one but two pipes. They made identical pipes but didn't know which type of orange stem I wanted so they made two to give me a choice.

Wow - that is exceptional customer service.

The only meer I have is from a now defunct pipe forum and it was their pipe of the year from Altinok. Nothing crazy, but its a nice pipe.

After reading through this, I will break it out tomorrow for the "What are you smoking thread" and may look at adding another.

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
They may be alright but at that price point they likely use the plastic screw in mortise and tenon inserts.
I reached out to them a couple of months ago, and they confirmed they use the screw-in stems They said they were working with their makers to eventually offer push stems

I have two meers. One with a screw-in stem and one with a push stem. I have had no issues with either whatsoever.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Well I done did it. After months of research and indecisions I bought a meerschaum on a whim and paid more than double my budget. I had what an art dealer friend of mine calls aesthetic arrest. That’s what causes someone to pay ridiculous amounts of money for something they don’t need and what keeps artist of all genres in business. I just finished my first bowl in my new Barling with a vulcanite stem; St. James Flake and it was a magical smoke. So, no buyer’s remorse!

Attachments

• D0606EA1-D2B3-428D-8690-DEADBA8C2184.jpeg
    D0606EA1-D2B3-428D-8690-DEADBA8C2184.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 38

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My first Meer was an SMS, fairly inexpensive and it smoke like shit.

My next was what was supposed to be a high quality meer was an IMP pictured below. In my opinion the stems on most meers suck. They also smoke hotter than my broken in briars. I paid 250.00 for the IMP off a big seller on Ebay. It is pretty I just can't get past the lousy stem and the way it heats up. Tons of guys love them so don't go by me. I am a very picky person when it comes to my pipes.
Here is the IMP.

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I have three meerschaums, one AKB and two IMPs. All are smooth rather than ornate. They are all good pipes but the IMPs are much better overall, especially in the way the stem is designed. You will note that the IMPs are more expensive, and that is for good reason. They are all excellent smoking pipes and I would not miss briar if only IMP meerschaum were available.

Yes … there are three quality attributes of a block meerschaum

1. Quality of the block. Turkish carvers grade their blocks but I am not clear on how do they grade it
2. Quality of carving
3. Draw - Meerschaum carvers often do not bother about the draw so many meerschaum pipes will have a restricted draw. Remediated if you do your own research and get a briar type tenon, spigot or a 9 mm filter pipe.

Do they matter? Not to me - While I appreciate an open draw, I can smoke a tighter draw quite easily. Not much into figural pipes, but if I buy one, I will carefully observe the carving before making a decision. In terms of the quality of the block - To me it does not matter much as all my Meerschaum pipes are coloring quite nicely.

The smoking quality is not dependent on #1 and #2

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi All. I've been searching for my first meerschaum pipe and was wondering if certain companies produce better pipes and if there are different grades of meerschaum? I've checked out a few online sites but don't know enough to make an informed decision. Prices seem to be all over the charts even within the same brand. Does higher price normally means higher quality meerschaum, artistry etc.? Does any of that really matter?
Not all meerschaum pipes are cut from a solid block of mineral. A number of the less expensive meerschaum are made from powdered mineral that's mixed with a binder and then compressed. They may smoke acceptably but they don't color.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You will note that the IMPs are more expensive, and that is for good reason.
Many of the newer AKBs are equipped with the same mortise inserts as IMP. AKB is a distributor of various independent artists whereas IMP is a workshop. Some of AKB's pipes are by artists that work for IMP and are of great quality. Kenan and Ali are independent carvers who often supply AKB with pipes to sell that outclass all of my IMPS.

Kenan
Remini20220312011757783.jpg

Ali
Remini20220427133600868.jpg

AKB also sometimes gets in pipes from apprentice carvers. This one came from AKB and even the carvers I regularly talk to have no idea who carved it. Coming in at 12 inches with a chamber depth of 3 inches, it was nearly $70 less than my least expensive IMP.
Remini20220415022759544.jpg

Then we come to this no name. Flawlessly drilled with a true lattice carving, it's easily my favorite meerschaum.
20220903_171418.jpg

Equating quality with price or brand can sometimes cause you to miss out on some very well made pipes. I once had a Baki dublin that I found very disappointing after finding that it had a terrible draw after many comments of how high quality his pipes were. I do really enjoy IMP but with their recent $40-$100 price increase, I'll likely not buy another.
20220910_184550.jpg

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I have one IMP bought within the last couple years and I agree with @cigrmaster , regarding the stem. Mine was utter trash. I've since had the stem replaced and some other mods done. It was a Wedding Anniversary gift from my wife, so it was worth paying to have it "fixed", otherwise I would have moved on from it.

Reactions: TN Jed

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have one IMP bought within the last couple years and I agree with @cigrmaster , regarding the stem. Mine was utter trash. I've since had the stem replaced and some other mods done. It was a Wedding Anniversary gift from my wife, so it was worth paying to have it "fixed", otherwise I would have moved on from it.
Was it pre 2015 like his?

Reactions: Rpink53

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have a cheap little MM that actually performs pretty well. I don't expect it will stand the test of time, but for what it is it's been a remarkable value.

Status
Not open for further replies.