PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CraigRobert

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Lewistown, Pa
Hi guys! I smoked a pipe in my mid 20’s for a few years and then gave it up. Within the last year I decided to give it another go, since my relationship status has changed since then (I’m now 38.). Anyhow exactly 14 days ago I made a purchase at pipesandcigars.com where I ordered 6 different blends. Since then, being frustrated with their service I ordered 6 more blends from tobaccopipes.com. It took 3 days for their products to arrive. In the 14 days since my order with pipesandcigars, my account has been charged, refunded, charged and refunded and charged again with only one blend of tobacco arriving at my door. None of these items were on back order, they were all in stock. I haven’t canceled the order, although I tried atleast a half dozen times, but when I call, I’m put on hold. Each time I’ve waited between 30 minutes and 3 hours. Since I can’t contact them, I can’t cancel the order. I’ve emailed ect. with no response. My order still says processing. I’m really not trying to bad mouth this company. I think everyone should be given a fair shake.
So, my question is, is their an issue with pipesandtobacco.com? Is this a normal thing? Is their service this bad typically? Or, is there something going on I don’t know about?
im from Pa and their location is Bethlehem Pa which is about 2hours from me. I’m tempted just to drive down and see what’s up…… I’d hate to be sitting here aggravated when there may be a logical explanation.
Thanks in advance,
Craig

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Overall, I've had little to no issues with them. They once sent a blend I didn't order and they promptly took it back and credited my order. And one time I ordered some Yorktown from them and cancelled the order after waiting a month for it to show up.
Their shipping packaging is pretty lousy, but no one does a particularly good job of it except for Tobaccopipes, Watch City Cigar, and the B&M's from which I occasionally order.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have had mostly good success with them. A few years ago I did have a weird issue, that I now can not remember exactly what happened, and while it did take a few days to get figured out. I have to say that they did come through.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I made a small order from them mid June and it never went through… just sat there processing for a week. I tried to call but wasn’t patient enough to wait beyond 20 minutes. Finally about another week went by and I checked again, only to see the order cancelled. I used the PayPal option but was never charged, thankfully.

CraigRobert

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Lewistown, Pa
I have had mostly good success with them. A few years ago I did have a weird issue, that I now can not remember exactly what happened, and while it did take a few days to get figured out. I have to say that they did come through.
They most definitely haven’t figured out my ordeal. My account has been charged, refunded, charged at different price, refunded then charged again and I’ve never cancelled the order. They were quick to take my money but they haven’t been quick to answer my calls, emails, or order in general. Terrible customer service.

CraigRobert

Lurker
Aug 16, 2022
Lewistown, Pa
I made a small order from them mid June and it never went through… just sat there processing for a week. I tried to call but wasn’t patient enough to wait beyond 20 minutes. Finally about another week went by and I checked again, only to see the order cancelled. I used the PayPal option but was never charged, thankfully.
I’ve called every day since the 10th day passed. I stayed on for a minimum 30 minutes each time and 3 hours once. No answer.
My account has been charged. One item has shipped. The other 5 are in stock. It makes no sense. The item that came was actually on back order for a few days. My order still says processing. I’d be ecstatic if they canceled my order and my money was refunded at this point. But unfortunately, it’s still listed as processing.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’ve called every day since the 10th day passed. I stayed on for a minimum 30 minutes each time and 3 hours once. No answer.
My account has been charged. One item has shipped. The other 5 are in stock. It makes no sense. The item that came was actually on back order for a few days. My order still says processing. I’d be ecstatic if they canceled my order and my money was refunded at this point. But unfortunately, it’s still listed as processing.
Man that just sucks. I hope they straighten it out and refund you asap.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm rather surprised. While I haven't ordered from Pipes and Cigars in awhile, mainly because they haven't had some of my blends in stock, I've always had good experience with them, including fast shipments, good pricing and good customer service. I remember on one occasion, they sent me a tin of Escudo by mistake when I ordered Balkan Sasieni. They promptly sent me a tin of Balkan Sasieni and told me to keep the Escudo at no charge.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Hi guys! I smoked a pipe in my mid 20’s for a few years and then gave it up. Within the last year I decided to give it another go, since my relationship status has changed since then (I’m now 38.). Anyhow exactly 14 days ago I made a purchase at pipesandcigars.com where I ordered 6 different blends. Since then, being frustrated with their service I ordered 6 more blends from tobaccopipes.com. It took 3 days for their products to arrive. In the 14 days since my order with pipesandcigars, my account has been charged, refunded, charged and refunded and charged again with only one blend of tobacco arriving at my door. None of these items were on back order, they were all in stock. I haven’t canceled the order, although I tried atleast a half dozen times, but when I call, I’m put on hold. Each time I’ve waited between 30 minutes and 3 hours. Since I can’t contact them, I can’t cancel the order. I’ve emailed ect. with no response. My order still says processing. I’m really not trying to bad mouth this company. I think everyone should be given a fair shake.
So, my question is, is their an issue with pipesandtobacco.com? Is this a normal thing? Is their service this bad typically? Or, is there something going on I don’t know about?
im from Pa and their location is Bethlehem Pa which is about 2hours from me. I’m tempted just to drive down and see what’s up…… I’d hate to be sitting here aggravated when there may be a logical explanation.
Thanks in advance,
Craig

This is par for the course, after all, they are owned by Cigars International, which has engaged in shady practices for at least 15 years. I used to order cigars from them and stopped about 10 years ago due to similiar issues - sounds like their customer service has continued to devolve rather than evolve to meet the general industry standard for mail order tobacco.

Best bet at this point is to file a chargeback with your credit card/bank. Just deduct the cost of the blend you did receive, explain your attempts at communication, and it's likely you'll get the money refunded. Then, to give them the grace you did not receive from them, send a terse email explaining you reversed the charge due to their lack of communication. It probably won't change anything regarding how they handle customers, unfortunately. In the future, stick with the vendors that people tend to give praise towards (tobaccopipes, watch city cigar, smokingpipes, mars, iwan Ries, etc).