PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Still have my dads zippo that he carried through two wars while in UDT, just a plain old zippo, never use it but it’s nice to have.
I bet you Really treasure it. My grandpa (my dads dad) was in the US army air corp during ww2. He was in The 8th army. He had painted on his zippo nose art. I always wanted it, but my uncle ended up taking it. Oh well.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I love all the pictures. My next one I’m doing is I have a retro 1943 zippo. I just ordered a replica Burma star medal like one of the medals my granddad was awarded after ww2. he was in the Royal British navy. So I’m putting that on there with a bit of the ribbon on the lid. I’ll get it tomorrow. I can’t wait to post some pictures.
Burma was a tough campaign. Read a number of books on it; a very good personal account is 'Quartered Safe Out Here,' by George McDonald Fraser.

Last edited:

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Burma was a tough campaign. Read a number of books on it; a very good personal account is 'Quartered Safe Out Here,' by George McDonald Fraser.
Oh hey! Thank you so much! My grandfather was never allowed to talk about the war. My grandma was in London during the blitz and her home was bombed. Every time he tried to talk about it she’d get so upset. So I will definitely seek this book!

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Oh hey! Thank you so much! My grandfather was never allowed to talk about the war. My grandma was in London during the blitz and her home was bombed. Every time he tried to talk about it she’d get so upset. So I will definitely seek this book!
Fraser's is a very good autobiographical account. For broader coverage, try 'Behind Japanese Lines: With the OSS in Burma' by Richard Dunlop. Your local library may have both.

PS I like your Commander McBragg avatar!
1660626060764.png

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Fraser's is a very good autobiographical account. For broader coverage, try 'Behind Japanese Lines: With the OSS in Burma' by Richard Dunlop. Your local library may have both.

PS I like your Commander McBragg avatar!
View attachment 163122
Thanks again. I already ordered the last book. I’ll seek this one out as well. yes I have always like the old commander. I made a pipe stand with him as well.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
My apologies if you already answered this question but what kind of adhesive did you use to glue the coins on the Zippo out of curiosity.

Reactions: Nevaditude