PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Curious if others experience a tingling in the nose and back of throat when smoking a pipe? I am employing the retrohale method (or so I think) and I get that tingling feeling with each draw. Am I smoking it too hot? Thanks!

P.S. The tobacco is Fusilier’s Ration. Pipe is by Erik Nording.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Making sure I understand the question. It seems as if you're blowing every puff out through your nose and wondering why your throat and nose are tingling?

If that's the case (and frankly even if it's not and you just blow a few puffs out of your nose), some mucosal and sinal irritation is normal. If I overdo it, my nose simply plugs.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
You're blowing hot smoke with nicotine in it. I think what you're feeling would be normal for mucous membranes. I suspect as you smoke more, you won't notice it. Or said differently, you'll become accustomed to it as normal.
Thanks for the reality check! I have been smoking a pipe for about a decade, but not more than once a month and only in the past 6 months discovered the retrohale technique. Then discovered I have been smoking way too hot. Trying to retrain and undo and smoke cooler to actually taste the tobacco and not just burnt ash.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Making sure I understand the question. It seems as if you're blowing every puff out through your nose and wondering why your throat and nose are tingling?

If that's the case (and frankly even if it's not and you just blow a few puffs out of your nose), some mucosal and sinal irritation is normal. If I overdo it, my nose simply plugs.
Thank you for stating it that way. Sometimes we all need someone like yourself to reframe the situation. Trying to retrain myself to smoke cooler.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How badly do you want to retrohale? I think that aggravates allergies and sinus problems if you're prone to that. I had bad hay fever as a kid, wore sunglasses to hide my runny eyes. I grew out of the worst of it, but I don't mess with my nasal mucus membranes. When I spent a lot of time in coastal areas and at sea in the Navy, my allergies abated, not completely but a lot. Not much pollen in the mid-Pacific. One of the few outright health benefits of my military service. That and almost daily inoculations for rare tropical diseases in boot camp. Vaccine deniers, ha.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you for stating it that way. Sometimes we all need someone like yourself to reframe the situation. Trying to retrain myself to smoke cooler.
I'm a naturally fast puffer, too, sir. You'll receive a lot of advice on how to slow down, but you'll find your way through the avoidance of tongue bite and mouth irritation. Sounds like you don't suffer from bite so you're ahead of the game!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
How badly do you want to retrohale? I think that aggravates allergies and sinus problems if you're prone to that. I had bad hay fever as a kid, wore sunglasses to hide my runny eyes. I grew out of the worst of it, but I don't mess with my nasal mucus membranes. When I spent a lot of time in coastal areas and at sea in the Navy, my allergies abated, not completely but a lot. Not much pollen in the mid-Pacific. One of the few outright health benefits of my military service. That and almost daily inoculations for rare tropical diseases in boot camp. Vaccine deniers, ha.
This is a good thought and had not considered it and am prone to allergies. I am trying the method as offered by Muttonchop Piper. Breath in by pulling air through the nose then back out the pipe.

Reactions: kcghost

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I'm a naturally fast puffer, too, sir. You'll receive a lot of advice on how to slow down, but you'll find your way through the avoidance of tongue bite and mouth irritation. Sounds like you don't suffer from bite so you're ahead of the game!
Yeah I get so excited to smoke and just want to keep drawing, then I realize my pipe gets too hot to hold.

I suffered from horrendous tongue bit when I first started and was on aromatic blends from Tinderbox. It wasnt until I gave English blends a try that the tongue bite went away. A seasoned pipe smoker told me it was a chemical reaction to the toppings, so I have stayed with English ever since then.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I am smoking a high-perique blend this morning and even little sips retrohaled prove to be spicy in my sinuses. Like Funkenhouser above, some of us chase that spice. However, as stated, you could be choo-chooing too much and getting the hot smokes.
Ahh okay so maybe a combo of perique and puffing too much. I am not sure how much Perique is in Fusilier’s Ration, but perhaps it is higher than other blends. I have some pure perique in a tin for home blending, but have not gotten the courage mustered up to try it on its own.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Could be the orientals
I often get a tingle in the nose when I smoke straight orientals - doesn’t usually happen when I smoke prepared blends.
I do have some straight orientals for home blending, but have not had the time to smoke them by themselves. Maybe Fusilier’s Rations orientals are a bit different than other blends I have had of late: Ashton Artisan, Bengal Slices, Shepherds Pie, Balkan Sobranie Match 759.