PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
You wil need to be quite old to help me on this! Like me!

If you can remember smoking Three Nuns Inthe late sixties what tobacco is closes to that flavour that's available today?

Reactions: canucklehead

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I think people I've interacted with who've smoked the various Three Nuns over the years find that a close--in cut and flavor--approximation to the 60s - 70s version is Savinelli Doblone D'Oro.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Doblone D'Oro would be the closest, though not as close as it used to be, due to an increase in the use of dark fired in place of Perique. Fortunately, the dark fired settles down after a few years and stops stinking up the blend.
Total agreement. If the OP can find tins of this blend that were made between 2014 (date of origination) and 2017, he will find it more like the old Three Nuns than the heavier laded DFK productions that followed.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The old Three Nuns was 'tits on a plate' nothing even close nowadays, unfortunately.
I don't know, I laboured through a few tins of Doblone D'oro back in 2015. I didn't think it was all that to be honest. A bit cheap & harsh tasting with an excellent topping, was my take on it. As good as the topping was, it was nothing like the topping / flavour of the old Three Nuns.
With all the hundreds of Va/Per out there, I've had better luck mixing up & pressing my own version. Which, is what you're better off doing in my opinion.
I wasn't around in the 60's but was familiar with the 90's version. Had tins from the 70's & 80's & have one tin left, which is from the 60's. Waiting to crack it open up & share with a mate of mine....hopefully soon.
image.jpeg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The old Three Nuns was 'tits on a plate' nothing even close nowadays, unfortunately.
I don't know, I laboured through a few tins of Doblone D'oro back in 2015. I didn't think it was all that to be honest. A bit cheap & harsh tasting with an excellent topping, was my take on it. As good as the topping was, it was nothing like the topping / flavour of the old Three Nuns.
With all the hundreds of Va/Per out there, I've had better luck mixing up & pressing my own version. Which, is what you're better off doing in my opinion.
I wasn't around in the 60's but was familiar with the 90's version. Had tins from the 70's & 80's & have one tin left, which is from the 60's. Waiting to crack it open up & share with a mate of mine....hopefully soon.
View attachment 161945
I do agree that Doblone d'Oro was not a faithful copy of the old Three Nuns, and mainly for the reasons you describe. I would disagree with your characterization of it being cheap tobacco. Anyway, the only reason it gets recommended as a Three Nuns substitute (at least the early version of Doblone d'Oro) is because nothing else is even near that, which is a sad commentary.

I should know. I've smoked around 130-150 pounds of the old Three Nuns during my life time. I still have some of the original here, but I save it for special occasions. It was my go-to smoke for over twenty years before I began rationing it out so I'd have some when the craving gets to me.

As a side note, I am aware of four other attempts to copy the vintage Three Nuns. None of them were close either.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I do agree that Doblone d'Oro was not a faithful copy of the old Three Nuns, and mainly for the reasons you describe. I would disagree with your characterization of it being cheap tobacco. Anyway, the only reason it gets recommended as a Three Nuns substitute (at least the early version of Doblone d'Oro) is because nothing else is even near that, which is a sad commentary.

I should know. I've smoked around 130-150 pounds of the old Three Nuns during my life time. I still have some of the original here, but I save it for special occasions. It was my go-to smoke for over twenty years before I began rationing it out so I'd have some when the craving gets to me.

As a side note, I am aware of four other attempts to copy the vintage Three Nuns. None of them were close either.
Why is it so difficult to copy?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Why is it so difficult to copy?
Watch City and Paul Olsen came half way close to duplicating the topping. WC was close to having the same percentage of perique in one of their two versions, and the PO version did not. Spicy St. James perique is expensive, and at times, elusive to obtain. The other failing is not replicating the effect of the Malawi and Brazilian sun cured Virginias.

A few years back, Russ Ouellette and I had planned to recreate the original version, but the FDA scare ended that idea.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I’ve never had the original, but I had heard that Three Nuns Green (which contains Perique) was at least closer to the original Three Nuns. I haven’t seen that mentioned here, so I’m wondering if maybe it actually isn’t all that close after all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I’ve never had the original, but I had heard that Three Nuns Green (which contains Perique) was at least closer to the original Three Nuns. I haven’t seen that mentioned here, so I’m wondering if maybe it actually isn’t all that close after all.
The reason TN Green wasn't close is because the dark fired was occasionally equal to or often surpassed the Virginias in terms of effect.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I see. Thank you for your expert perspective. I think I would have really loved the original.

I wonder then if Rattray’s Old Gowrie might scratch a similar itch.
It won't because of the red Virginia content. What you want to do is find a bright Va. with some darker Va as a secondary support player, and add 18% perique. You won't have a match, but it will come closer to scratching that itch more than Old Gowrie would. Hal O' The Wynd would be a better suggestion, and you'd probably only have to add 6-8% perique. It won't get you where you want, but you may enjoy the experience anyway.

And if you really want to be experimental, add a very light spray of prune, rum and anise.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Watch City and Paul Olsen came half way close to duplicating the topping. WC was close to having the same percentage of perique in one of their two versions, and the PO version did not. Spicy St. James perique is expensive, and at times, elusive to obtain. The other failing is not replicating the effect of the Malawi and Brazilian sun cured Virginias.

A few years back, Russ Ouellette and I had planned to recreate the original version, but the FDA scare ended that idea.
Is the Watch City blend you’re referring to still in production?