PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
If I win do I a get a lollypop?
Tonsillitis when I was a kid.
Multiple kidney stone surgeries where they have to go into through your dick to get the stone. Conservative estimate is at least 6.
Lithotripsies that is when they pound your kidney stones from the outside with ultra sound to break up the stones so you can piss them out. At least 4 of those. It feels like someone took a bat to your kidneys. But it beats the hell out of the surgery when they go through your dick and then leave a stent in your ureter for at least a week. It feels like pissing glass.
Left shoulder they had to scrap bone off my collar bone as I was bone on bone from too much tennis. I lost 10 mph on my serve on that one.
Left foot Plantar Fasciitis surgery
Right foot bone spur surgery
Left wrist surgery
Synovial Cyst back surgery
Laminectomy back surgery
Spinal Fusion with all kinds of metal my last back surgery

I am still not done as I have to get Cataract surgery on both eyes.
One more condition where there is no surgery to fix it is Neuropathy which is nerve damage from my back and the severe spinal stenosis I have. The only medicine that gives any relief is a drug that kills your kidneys. I also have stage 4 kidney disease and if doesn't get better I am looking at dialysis.

When I look at this list I wonder how I had so much fun through all of the years. I was a snow skier and a pretty good one. I have been scuba diving at some of the best reefs in the world. I have traveled to a lot of cool places. Playing sports my whole life it is no wonder I am crippled. I cannot count the number of times I was on crutches for tearing up both ankles.

I really miss my tennis and golf the most. But then I think about how lucky I am to have 4 great kids, a nice home, nice cars, plenty of food in the fridge and I beat a case of Covid pretty easily. I see how many billions of people are looking for their next bowl of rice and I don't feel sorry for myself. I have plenty of great pipes and tobacco and if I have to use a wheel chair to go anywhere, it is a price I am willing to gladly pay.

My sig tag says it all. I am going to leave a body that no one would want for spare parts.
2 back ops.

Reactions: JOHN72

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Had Pacemaker with built in shock unit installed a few stints to widen heart arteries pumped new life in my 80 year plus body. When awaking from anesthesia my nurse looking into my eyes, was wearing red glasses and matching sneakers gave me quite a jolt. The surgeon had a problem finding a good artery and left his initials on my chest ! My engine has a complete rebuild. Feel great.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
No place for inserting foul language in this thread.
Gee wilikers! You guys are all messed up! I feel jinxed just reading this tread.

Apologies for my lowbrow post earlier, assuming that the site would edit words that would offend the gentle folk here, and if not the. It was not against the rules. Now i know.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I’ve had my share of surgeries. The three that come to mind though are the occasions I’ve stitched myself up.

Foot, knee and leg.

Three separate events.
Macho Man or did you run out of plasters / band aids?
Bet the boys call you Camouflage. Lol

Stan Ridgway - Camouflage - YouTube

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Macho Man or did you run out of plasters / band aids?
Bet the boys call you Camouflage. Lol

Stan Ridgway - Camouflage - YouTube
These were back in the eighties when I did a lot of solo mountaineering.

Nobody was coming to help and I judged them to be the logical fix.

I had discussed the original scenario with my family doctor and he hooked me up with suture kits and numbing cream.

I recently cut my arm pretty good at a fire scene and fixed it with super glue. Would have loved that option in the 80’s.

It’s how my brain works, patch it up and get back to it.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If I win do I a get a lollypop?
Tonsillitis when I was a kid.
Multiple kidney stone surgeries where they have to go into through your dick to get the stone. Conservative estimate is at least 6.
Lithotripsies that is when they pound your kidney stones from the outside with ultra sound to break up the stones so you can piss them out. At least 4 of those. It feels like someone took a bat to your kidneys. But it beats the hell out of the surgery when they go through your dick and then leave a stent in your ureter for at least a week. It feels like pissing glass.
Left shoulder they had to scrap bone off my collar bone as I was bone on bone from too much tennis. I lost 10 mph on my serve on that one.
Left foot Plantar Fasciitis surgery
Right foot bone spur surgery
Left wrist surgery
Synovial Cyst back surgery
Laminectomy back surgery
Spinal Fusion with all kinds of metal my last back surgery

I am still not done as I have to get Cataract surgery on both eyes.
One more condition where there is no surgery to fix it is Neuropathy which is nerve damage from my back and the severe spinal stenosis I have. The only medicine that gives any relief is a drug that kills your kidneys. I also have stage 4 kidney disease and if doesn't get better I am looking at dialysis.

When I look at this list I wonder how I had so much fun through all of the years. I was a snow skier and a pretty good one. I have been scuba diving at some of the best reefs in the world. I have traveled to a lot of cool places. Playing sports my whole life it is no wonder I am crippled. I cannot count the number of times I was on crutches for tearing up both ankles.

I really miss my tennis and golf the most. But then I think about how lucky I am to have 4 great kids, a nice home, nice cars, plenty of food in the fridge and I beat a case of Covid pretty easily. I see how many billions of people are looking for their next bowl of rice and I don't feel sorry for myself. I have plenty of great pipes and tobacco and if I have to use a wheel chair to go anywhere, it is a price I am willing to gladly pay.

My sig tag says it all. I am going to leave a body that no one would want for spare parts.
I sincerely wish you all the best of health and recovery so you don't have to do dialysis and will pray for you but reading your post reminded my immature self of the old saw:
1659971425831.png

You seem the type who can appreciate the humor ... ;):ROFLMAO: All the best !!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

I had discussed the original scenario with my family doctor and he hooked me up with suture kits and numbing cream.

I recently cut my arm pretty good at a fire scene and fixed it with super glue. Would have loved that option in the 80’s.

They used to use rubber cement to seal up surgeries to remove warts and stuff ... apparently seals hole and is naturally antibacterial so ... not so far off medically ... how is it any different than spray on band aids ?? also in colonial days frontiersman would collect spiders webs for packing wounds as the web contains sufficient venom to clot blood flow and seal wound. --- We've lost a lot of practical folk wisdom by no longer reading the histories of those who forged our nation ... moss and mustard greens for poltices etc ... aspirin comes from the inside of the bark of birch trees --- when the colonists asked the Indians what do you do for a headache ? and they said we lick the inside of the bark of a birch tree ... good for you for keeping the tradition alive as best you can ! ??

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

You can get those 'butterfly stitch kits' now, they're pretty good.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
two got my wisdom teeth out and then I had a baby tooth that never fell out and then it died when I was 40 and had to be extracted. Which wasn't bad except I stayed awake and there is something that hits you deep inside when you hear the sounds of bones cracking coming from inside of your head. They had me hooked up to a monitor that had vitals like blood pressure and holy moly did my BP spike when I heard that crack.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Just 2 so far, and I’m not sure they even count: Wisdom teeth removal and a knee arthroscopy to remove some scar tissue. Both in my teens. I’ve been very lucky in this regard.

I knocked on my oak table repeatedly before writing this post, and will do so after I post it ?

• Haha
Reactions: edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Oral surgery for impacted wisdom teeth.
Crushed disc between lumbar 4&5.
Radical prostatectomy for cancer.
Two hip replacements.

I’m still here!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This thread reminds me of how much I dreaded getting so old that all my friends and I would speak of is our health and the latest malady. Now I'm of the age and it's true, sciatica, latest operation, arthritis, and so forth are almost always the favored topic at lunch or coffee. We old folk are always trying to "one-up" our associates. We are pathetic and self consumed! rotf

On the other hand, a certain age allows us to make the odd salacious statement to a smiling waitress and get away with it. Sometimes even with a bit of encouragement. So, there are certain advantages to appearing to be a harmless, dirty old man.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Oral surgery for impacted wisdom teeth.
Crushed disc between lumbar 4&5.
Radical prostatectomy for cancer.
Two hip replacements.

I’m still here!

I'm curious now, and feel free to tell me to get stuffed @edger, but I'm guessing you have worked a hard job or something to have both hips replaced plus the crushed discs.

So like, where you a piano mover, stone mason, professional rugby player, stevedore, and/or rodeo clown?

No disrespect intended, I'm genuinely curious - but if I'm being nosy just tell me where to go.

Reactions: edger