PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Valaam

Lurker
Aug 3, 2022
I smoked pipes way back in the mid 1970s for about 6 years. My son in law reintroduced me to fine cigars and enjoying that indulgence I decided it was past time to rejoin the pipe smoking community. I purchased a new filtered Rattray and enjoyed it so much I purchased a Briarworks filtered. Comparing these to my old legacy pipes I've concluded, for me, filtered is the way forward. I've bought far too many tins of tobacco for my modest needs, but such a pleasure to explore fine English blends again. It is wonderful that such an online community like this exists. As a lurker, I've learned a great deal that was unknown to me back in the day. Sadly, the number of brick and mortar tobacconists has diminished greatly since I first took it up. In any case, I'm delighted to be here virtually from Western Massachusetts physically.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. My paternal grandma, with whom I spent some time as a kid, was from Holyoke, Mass. Traveling in Western Mass. years ago, my wife and I stopped at a lunch place in a nice old frame house and I recognized the foods and flavorings right away as being like grandma made. The family lived in the Chicago area, my folks and grandparents, at the time. Grandma was the matriarch at large family Thanksgivings.

Reactions: Valaam

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
@Valaam
Welcome back to pipe smoking.

My smoking history parallels yours.
I got my first pipe in the early '70s while I was at university.
Stopped smoking in the mid-80's when our first child was born.
Took up the pipe again 4 years ago after smoking cigars exclusively for almost 15 years

I'm finding the pipe so much more enjoyable this second time around Especially interacting with this online Forums

Reactions: Valaam