PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Tobaccopipes.com has a notice on the webpage that “Sam G” tins are now “lightly vacuum sealed with a plastic seal on the tin.”

Receiving two today (Grousemoor and Squadron Leader) I can smell the differences from the outside of the sealed can.

Should these be aged in a mason jar or left in the tin that is allowing minor delicious aroma through the packaging? These are going to sit for a while and I don’t want them to dry out.

thanks for your opinions!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tobaccopipes.com has a notice on the webpage that “Sam G” tins are now “lightly vacuum sealed with a plastic seal on the tin.”

Receiving two today (Grousemoor and Squadron Leader) I can smell the differences from the outside of the sealed can.

Should these be aged in a mason jar or left in the tin that is allowing minor delicious aroma through the packaging? These are going to sit for a while and I don’t want them to dry out.

thanks for your opinions!
If you can smell the contents, it's not 100% sealed. These square and rectangular are not intended for long term storage. They might be good for a number of years before the vacuum seal fails, but the contents are very slowly drying the whole time. It's one reason that tobaccos are packed with excess water.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Just to mention (again) the tins are sealed the same as they have always been (same vacuum machine), each tin goes into this and then it now as a heat sealed tamper proof plastic wrap on it. BUT as already pointed out by others, tins are a packaging device, not a storage device.

Not to contradict you blatantly , but I popped a tin of Navy Flake the other day and there was no ”whoosh“ noise, and the tobacco was drier than the other tin of which did go “ whoosh” sooooooo? I don’t know what. I am amazed at the quality of product , just never had that happen before. Your point is noted all my tins are jarred…

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
As already stated EVERY tin is vacuum sealed. How every tin retains it vacuum depends on numerous factors - handling during shipping, length of time in storage at distributor or shop, temperature and conditions when in storage. As does how wet or dry the tobacco inside is. A lack of "whoosh" does not mean it was not vacuum sealed. Some people say the tobacco is too wet, for some its too dry, in the past there were issues that people could not open the tins, now they open too easily for some.........as long as the tobacco is of good quality that is our concern.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
On the last batch there was no seal whatsoever. I had 6 tins if Grousemoor that were all basically open. There was even a bit of tobacco between the lid and the tin lol

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
As already stated EVERY tin is vacuum sealed. How every tin retains it vacuum depends on numerous factors - handling during shipping, length of time in storage at distributor or shop, temperature and conditions when in storage. As does how wet or dry the tobacco inside is. A lack of "whoosh" does not mean it was not vacuum sealed. Some people say the tobacco is too wet, for some its too dry, in the past there were issues that people could not open the tins, now they open too easily for some.........as long as the tobacco is of good quality that is our concern.
The best quality indeed good sir…

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
On the last batch there was no seal whatsoever. I had 6 tins if Grousemoor that were all basically open. There was even a bit of tobacco between the lid and the tin lol
Just to be clear, I am not complaining or criticizing anyone. I am glad that your products are available here occasionally and I would be jarring them regardless

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The owner of one of the oldest and most respected makers of pipe tobacco blends is willing to engage here and is being straight up about the business, not blowing smoke or telling you want you want to hear, and who else has ever done that. So how about some respect.

You've been hearing for years that square and rectangular tins are not made for nor reliable for long term storage and if you disregarded that information that's on you, not on the manufacturers. Their job is to get their products to market for sale in good condition. What individuals decide to do with the product once they've purchased it isn't the concern of manufacturers.

The whole practice of cellaring is a recent development and its risks and rewards belong to the people who cellar, and isn't the concern of quality manufacturers, who bring to market blends ready to be enjoyed, not "OK but wait a few years". Hence Germain's response to all of this aging as "quit faffing about".