PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

keithnelmr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
I made my first whole brisket a month or so ago. Trimming it was a chore, though,
mostly because my knives just weren't sharp enough and it
seems like they were the wrong shape, compared to the ones I saw in a couple of videos online.
My knives are a lot slimmer and shorter than the ones in the videos.
I am looking to pick up a couple of new ones, but don't want to go overboard on them.
Many of the links in some of the other posts are out of date and the links are dead.
Almost all of them lack search terms so I don't even know what brands/styles they used to point to.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for knives for trimming?
(I do know what to look for in a slicing knife, so that's not a problem)

Last edited by a moderator:

keithnelmr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
I made my first whole brisket a month or so ago. Trimming it was a chore, though,
seems like they were the wrong shape, compared to the ones I saw in a couple of videos online.
I am looking to pick up a couple of new ones, but don't want to go overboard on them.
Many of the links in some of the other posts are out of date and the links are dead.
Almost all of them lack search terms so I don't even know what brands/styles they used to point to.

Thanks! in advance for any help

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I leave the "fat cap" on during cookin, smoke or roasting. In fact, I ask the butcher/vendor for a brisket with a lot of fat. Folks don't need to eat it but, doing so enhances the flavor considerably. Use your carving knife to remove the fat and trim the slices also for those not wanting the "Brown bits. Cretins they may be but, guests should get what they desire.

As for a knife, look at what your butcher has hanging off his belt.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I leave the "fat cap" on during cookin, smoke or roasting. In fact, I ask the butcher/vendor for a brisket with a lot of fat. Folks don't need to eat it but, doing so enhances the flavor considerably. Use your carving knife to remove the fat and trim the slices also for those not wanting the "Brown bits. Cretins they may be but, guests should get what they desire.

As for a knife, look at what your butcher has hanging off his belt.
It's a sad fact that butchers (at least here in the UK) nowadays encourage their suppliers (farmers) to produce meat with little fat.

As Warren rightly says, the fat on a joint or a chop adds considerably to the overall flavour of the meat.

When me & the missus brought on our own pigs (and lambs), once our local friendly butcher had done the butchering it was a delight to see our pork chops with almost an inch of fat on them and they tasted like no other pork I've ever tasted....quite sublime!

Shop bought chops have less than a 1/4 inch of fat on them.....tasteless pap.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: warren

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Thanks! in advance for any help

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Old Hickory are good, but will rust if you so much as look at them wrong.
Take care of 'em and they'll take care of you, however if you're already in the habit of letting your knives get dull, well, there you go,
The most cost effective course is simply taking your dull knives to a good shop and have them properly sharpened since buying new knives is expensive unless you like shopping at Target and Wallyworld.
Now as to shape, I find a boning and a butcher to be the one's I reach for most often for trimming meat. The thing is you have to keep them sharp. A dull knife is a dangerous knife.
As for Brands, well, those are all over the place cost wise. I refuse to spend more on a kitchen knife than what I put out for a car payment.
Grohmann in Nova Scotia makes exceptional knives and often has factory "seconds" listed in their website.
That's where I would look for a good deal on a new kitchen knife.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Take a look at Dexter Knifes, they make a wide range of styles tailored to commercial use. They are not hugely expensive for what you get. Foerschner is another brand that may be worth a look.

When I smoke brisket I trim some of the fat cap off prior to smoking, leaving enough to keep the meat moist through the 10-12 hours it spends in the smoker. We like our brisket trimmed when it hits the plate so taking some fat off before cooking reduces the work later.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Carbon steel holds a far better edge but will rust if not cared for properly.

Stainless steel not so good an edge but won't rust.

Take your choice....mine would be carbon steel every time.

Regards,

Jay.

Last edited:

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Carbon steel holds a far better edge but will rust if not cared for properly.

Stainless steel not so good an edge but won't rust.

Take your choice....mine would be carbon steel every time.

Regards,

Jay.
But not all carbon steel blades were created equal. The old USA made Chicago Cutlery were carbon steel and compared to Old Hickory, quite rust resistant. Of course any carbon blade will rust if uncared for.
Keep them dry, keep them sharp, keep wooden handles---if you have them--- lemon oiled and the world is you're oyster.

Reactions: warren

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
But not all carbon steel blades were created equal. The old USA made Chicago Cutlery were carbon steel and compared to Old Hickory, quite rust resistant. Of course any carbon blade will rust if uncared for.
Keep them dry, keep them sharp, keep wooden handles---if you have them--- lemon oiled and the world is you're oyster.
You are correct of course :).

I was thinking more of Sheffield (my home city) carbon/crucible steel but of course many types of the same steel are made worldwide and as a result are variable in quality.

Regards,

Jay.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
In America we have the same thing going on. You'll find all kinds of meat in the grocery store that is way too lean. The do-gooders just can't stand to see us enjoy ourselves.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In America we have the same thing going on. You'll find all kinds of meat in the grocery store that is way too lean. The do-gooders just can't stand to see us enjoy ourselves.
It's the consumer that demands less waste or, less fat/flavor. The retailer wants only products that pay for their shelf/display space. So, boneless meat with most of the flavor/fat removed is offered. Fat isn't all that healthy and most consumers do not like paying for fat and bones. Consumers also do not want to pay for properly aged beef. So, the "do-gooders", other than the health police, have little to do with "supply and demand". It's the consumers who settle for lower quality at lower cost.

Hunt the internet for "boutique" ranches which will vend aged, grass fed beef. I found one which will vend what I want, in amounts I desire. The beeves are still young so the texture is not as firm as I'd like but, I can order, cut/trimmed to my specs, only what I need. Admittedly, the product is considerably more expensive, think upscale restaurant grade, than what you'd find in a retail store. So, I might consume less but, enjoy more. And, no, I won't proved the sellers name or website. Do your own research if tasty beef is what you want.

Even the ranchers contribute to lower quality with their drive to sell young beeves. We consumers buy into it and then have to, marinade, slather on sauces and seasonings in order to serve up a flavorful plate. (I'm not disbarging properly smoked dishes on addressing grilled or roasted). We've bought into the idea that flavorless beef/pork is cheaper ergo, better. The consumer can be his/her own worst enemy. The retailer only provides what the consumer will . . . consume.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
If you only have one good kitchen knife, it's heard to beat a Wusthof Classic 8-inch Chef's knife. I've had one for 20-years, and it's taken a beating.

My favorite carving knife is a Sabatier Elephant carbon steel that wife gave to me about 15-years ago. IMHO the hardness of the blade is too soft for anything but carving meat, but when you steel it properly before carving it slides through any meat like butter.

For all other kitchen tasks, I prefer Japanese chef's knives, as they maintain a scary edge for a long time and are a joy to use.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Any good quality knife that is sharp and large enough to do the job. If you need to go out and buy the "One" perfect knife you will pass on to your heirs go do that. However, let me make another suggestion --- buy wed, thurs, fri papers and check out weekend estate sales --- most people get sets as wedding gifts they never use. I have bought very good to excellent Henckels, Antique Remington, Gerber, Sheffield, Wusthof, Solingen,Swiss made steak knives, japanese sushi knives etc at estate sales. Go early and go directly to kitchen and Dining room ---- most kitchen stuff doesn't sell and has to be thrown out afterwards so you can get good deals by making a 'reasonable' offer. Be generous as you may be buying a $200-350 knife for $20-40. Most I ever paid was $35.00 for a Sheffield Silverplate pistol handled carving set (knife and fork with backstop) in the original box. The lady charged me $10 extra because of the pretty gift box ! ("Yes, I know, its pretty, that's why I'm buying it ! :rolleyes: " )

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You are correct of course :).

I was thinking more of Sheffield (my home city) carbon/crucible steel but of course many types of the same steel are made worldwide and as a result are variable in quality.

Regards,

Jay.
Some Sheffield knives were made for Sheffield with Sheffield steel at a cutlery in Pennsylvania, USA who then subcontracted to individual cutlers in surrounding states. I have a couple of hunting knives with stag handles that were custom made from Sheffield blanks that were not used.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012

I like a boning knife for trimming.

Reactions: Hovannes

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've spent quite a few summers between the school year in a butcher shop. I use a Victorinox Swiss Army 6" curved boning Knife w/ a flexible blade.
Screenshot_20220728-192732_Chrome.jpg

I trim the briskets as soon as I pull them out of the side. I use one at home too. Come to think of it, the 6" boning knife and 10" chef's knife are all I ever use in the kitchen.

Best of luck.

keithnelmr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
It's a sad fact that butchers (at least here in the UK) nowadays encourage their suppliers (farmers) to produce meat with little fat.

As Warren rightly says, the fat on a joint or a chop adds considerably to the overall flavour of the meat.

When me & the missus brought on our own pigs (and lambs), once our local friendly butcher had done the butchering it was a delight to see our pork chops with almost an inch of fat on them and they tasted like no other pork I've ever tasted....quite sublime!

Shop bought chops have less than a 1/4 inch of fat on them.....tasteless pap.

Regards,
edc folding knife
Jay.
thank you for your suggestion

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If you only have one good kitchen knife, it's heard to beat a Wusthof Classic 8-inch Chef's knife. I've had one for 20-years, and it's taken a beating.

My favorite carving knife is a Sabatier Elephant carbon steel that wife gave to me about 15-years ago. IMHO the hardness of the blade is too soft for anything but carving meat, but when you steel it properly before carving it slides through any meat like butter.

For all other kitchen tasks, I prefer Japanese chef's knives, as they maintain a scary edge for a long time and are a joy to use.
Wustof are my blades of choice.

I also keep a set of throw away knives for others to use without my eye twitching.