Where to Hide Valuables at Home. Tips Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I know you have said “no guns” but as someone who has grown up with them, and has been shooting since I was big enough to hold one, I simply can’t understand the concept of not having them. In my area of Tennessee there are as many gun stores as grocery stores. You will see 10 times as many “Don’t Tread On Me” and “Come And Take It” flags as you will Tennessee State flags. Nearly every truck in town has pro-gun stickers on the back glass. Most people own guns and everyone knows it….. Break-ins do happen, but they are extremely rare. Vehicle break-ins are more common, but are still much less common than many areas. You don’t have to have a license in Tennessee to carry a firearm, and a great deal of people do carry them. I’ve been carrying one every day since I was old enough to do so. I own a 1000 pound safe that could not easily be removed from my house. Most, but certainly not all, of my valuables are in it. I don’t spend much time worrying about break-ins. I worry more about porch pirates stealing my new pipes before I get a chance to open the package….

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would buy fake things of value, and hide them, and the real things of value, I would hide them too, well, maybe, I would mix the real things of value, with the fake things. I mean, the goal is to use a lot of confusion, so the thief will end up stressed out, calling the ambulance himself. I would also have a freshly made blueberry pie, and hot coffee. Who knows, you might end up at a house meeting, with the paramedics, the police, the thief, and the amazon package delivery person.
John, great idea and I already thought of that. Right now I have a wallet with £25 and a few random (out of date) cards in it which I leave in a prominent place. My regular wallet is well out of sight.

When I move I'd need to develop that by buying some cheap & nasty 'valuables' as you suggest and leave those in a drawer or such place Mr. Burglar is likely to try first.

And as Warren wisely says, 'think like a thief to foil a thief'.

Thanks for the tips chaps ?

Regards,

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr
Jan 27, 2020
I would buy fake things of value, and hide them, and the real things of value, I would hide them too, well, maybe, I would mix the real things of value, with the fake things. I mean, the goal is to use a lot of confusion, so the thief will end up stressed out, calling the ambulance himself. I would also have a freshly made blueberry pie, and hot coffee. Who knows, you might end up at a house meeting, with the paramedics, the police, the thief, and the amazon package delivery person.

If you are going the blueberry pie route I would also recommend a house of all white leather furniture in case the thief got away their is a high chance he leaves easily distinguishable fingerprints.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I know you have said “no guns” but as someone who has grown up with them, and has been shooting since I was big enough to hold one, I simply can’t understand the concept of not having them. In my area of Tennessee there are as many gun stores as grocery stores. You will see 10 times as many “Don’t Tread On Me” and “Come And Take It” flags as you will Tennessee State flags. Nearly every truck in town has pro-gun stickers on the back glass. Most people own guns and everyone knows it….. Break-ins do happen, but they are extremely rare. Vehicle break-ins are more common, but are still much less common than many areas. You don’t have to have a license in Tennessee to carry a firearm, and a great deal of people do carry them. I’ve been carrying one every day since I was old enough to do so. I own a 1000 pound safe that could not easily be removed from my house. Most, but certainly not all, of my valuables are in it. I don’t spend much time worrying about break-ins. I worry more about porch pirates stealing my new pipes before I get a chance to open the package….
The perfect response, but we are not Brits and enjoy the second amendment. I will always consider my safety and the safety of my loved ones my responsibility and will, therefore, remain armed.

Jan 27, 2020
The perfect response, but we are not Brits and enjoy the second amendment. I will always consider my safety and the safety of my loved ones my responsibility and will, therefore, remain armed.

Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the holster.

• Wow
Reactions: edger

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I'm confused.. Are you moving into a single family home that you will own or a condo rental of some type? You mentioned not knowing about lose boards or attic space. Are you away for extended periods? Do you live alone?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
2 safes, one in obvious location with a couple hundred bucks and inexpensive jewelry or watches. 2nd safe in more obscure place that holds the good stuff. If being tortured can give up the first safe and the good stuff remains hidden. And you get to keep your fingers.....

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm confused.. Are you moving into a single family home that you will own or a condo rental of some type? You mentioned not knowing about lose boards or attic space. Are you away for extended periods? Do you live alone?
Peter, I live alone now and will continue to live alone in my new place.

I'll be moving into a house that I will be buying myself, no renting involved.

I have a rough Idea as to where I'll be moving to, it's just a case of finding the right house in that area that suits my needs & my spending limit, hence me not knowing if I'll have an attic space etc.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As do I, though with a completely different conclusion.

Where I live, my age and reaction time, size of dwelling, great watch dog; and security such as a gate house, I choose to remain firearm-less. Feel safer that way. And I grew up hunting and shooting a lot, but hunting pheasant here is prohibitively expensive, so shotguns given away. My 38 special was "lost" in transit. No firearms to tempt me or be inviting items to steal.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
As do I, though with a completely different conclusion.

Where I live, my age and reaction time, size of dwelling, great watch dog; and security such as a gate house, I choose to remain firearm-less. Feel safer that way. And I grew up hunting and shooting a lot, but hunting pheasant here is prohibitively expensive, so shotguns given away. My 38 special was "lost" in transit. No firearms to tempt me or be inviting items to steal.

Also, if a person is looking to hide their valuables, I would assume that they are afraid of them being nicked when they aren't home. Not sure how owning firearms would help under such a scenario.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Also, if a person is looking to hide their valuables, I would assume that they are afraid of them being nicked when they aren't home. Not sure how owning firearms would help under such a scenario.

I leave my door unlocked most of the time.. People are afraid one of us might be here to shoot dey ass. Doesnt matter if I'm here or not.. People in my county, even though they're meth addled, don't take that risk.

We have criminals everywhere, and no crime. A community holding guns creates a they'll shoot your ass environment. Crime does not thrive in an environment like that.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Good hiding places are usually plagued with environmental issues. Attics get hot or can leak, basements can flood.
Not so good for your valuables
Assess the architectural elements of your new digs. Masonry, paneling, built in cabinetry, closets, fixtures etc... might offer you some workable options with modifications.
Remember that whatever can be pulled open, pried open, or carted off, likely will be.