Where to Hide Valuables at Home. Tips Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Buy a decent looking safe and put it in an almost hidden obvious location. Then hide all the stuff elsewhere using methods described above. Let them worry about working on/removing the safe while the alarm goes off.

• Haha
Reactions: aspiring_sage

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Wall or floor safe and a decent alarm system with decent video. A free ranging cobra, pictures on the door, would likely deter a burglar. But, I'm not sure how to peacefully coexist with loose viper. And, there's a right serious conundrum.
When the cobra gets to be a problem it’s time to get a mongoose. I’m not sure what to do when the mongoose becomes problematic. Cougar?

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I've seen a house picked bare by thieves with time to do a good job of it.
Everything was pulled down and broken apart, I couldn't even walk through it as the floor was covered with broken or worthless stuff.
The best you can hope for is to deter smash and grabs. A good heavy safe either mudded in or lag bolted to the floor joists in a location where they can't get a chain around it, and no power tools they could utilize(make 'em bring their own) would certainly help the cause and that's with an alarm. And a dog.
Check out Youtubes to see how quick and easy it is to defeat a cheap safe.

Reactions: aspiring_sage
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If someone wants in, they're getting in. Best option is deterrence (nothing by doors or windows) and not making yourself a target (nothing visible from windows and not leaving boxes for big ticket items by the curb).

A ring doorbell, alarm sign (and ideally an alarm), and timed lighting help but nothing will make you bulletproof.

Signs of being home help (no newspaper on the driveway, shoveled walkway) unless you're a target. Most intruders aren't looking for conflict, so if the home appears occupied, the risk goes down.

Insurance policies with photos and a safe deposit box are money in the bank.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If I turn to burglary, I now know to look for a vent that doesn't match the others- (or there's steam heat, or radiant heat.)

I'd save the $80...
41urOjynUGL.jpg

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
I think you could try the bank's private safe (if you don't appreciate him from time to time)

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Best bet frankly is safety deposit box. Otherwise anything can be compromised.
There are these fake vegetables that you can store things in and put them in the fridge (cabbages are a popular shape) that look exactly like the real thing until touched.
My grandpa would hide money in his jackets’ pockets in the closet, he also hid jewels in the lining of the curtains, and he had a small semi-conspicuous safe tucked in a shoe box. He had a better safe in his basement, built into the wall, but that’s just hoping they will grab the portable safe and take off before the police arrive.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It's a bit unconventional/uncomfortable, but there's always this option:

View attachment 154250

Not Plan A, of course, but with supply chain uncertainties showing no signs of improving, certain industrious folks might start investigating ways to do things a little more...DIY?

No need to thank me, by the way. ?
That's the Pulp Fiction approach previously mentioned, but, Pulp Friction might be more appropriate in this instance.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jay if someone breaks in, walks up and starts smacking you around, will you tell them where the goodies are?
Jpberg, up until about 20 years ago I'd have knifed him at the first opportunity.....am disabled now so my options in that regard are somewhat limited.

I like the idea from Verporchting of hiding them in a random box among other random boxes of nick nacks, that just might work if done right.

Someone suggested putting them on display & insuring them! Well I'm sure the insurance premium would be incredibly high for that, plus I don't like to display such things....it attracts burglars don't you know ;) .

Some other valuables are on 'display' such as antique books, my studio pottery collection etc but by their very nature, I have no option to do otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestions....whacky as some are, I do appreciate the input.

Regards,

Jay.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Separate your goods and use multiple systems. A box within a box covered with junk. I like the fake register or some of the furniture with hidded departments. A friend has a guess bedroom very rarely used that he has shorten several drawers. You get the drill.. If you have an interior closet you could have it lined with steel grating then beef up the door/frame combo.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One other problem just came to mind and that is all the boxes that my quality watches came in. Some are quite large (my Speedmaster Moonwatch is like a small suitcase) and all are emblazoned with 'Tudor', 'Omega', 'Longines', IWC' etc. These I keep as they help maintain the value of the watch should it need to be resold and also they contain all the paperwork & spare bracelet links.

My only solution regards those would be to have someone put them in the loft (assuming I have a loft in my new place) as I doubt any burglar would be interested in loft hunting.

I had several suggestions for hiding the watches from members via PM which was nice but one from a fellow Brit was quite ingenious and not too difficult to put into place. If I can get that to work then I think my problems would be solved :).

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: Duck and simong