PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
People are convinced there's hundreds of fake dunhills being made every day, and it's just not true. The fakes are usually dead obvious (wrong stamping, wrong shape/finish) and sometimes less obvious but to a trained eye, there are process-marks that pipes of every brand bear. Anyone faking those could literally make more money by making their own pipes. Especially a Dress finish, probably the hardest finish to do. No, that's a Dunhill in every way, the linked pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
People are convinced there's hundreds of fake dunhills being made every day, and it's just not true. The fakes are usually dead obvious (wrong stamping, wrong shape/finish) and sometimes less obvious but to a trained eye, there are process-marks that pipes of every brand bear. Anyone faking those could literally make more money by making their own pipes. Especially a Dress finish, probably the hardest finish to do. No, that's a Dunhill in every way, the linked pipe.
that's the thing. If you could make a convincing fake dunhill you could literally sell it that way for more then as a fake estate. Like hey look at my fake dunhill brand new so less then a dunhill more then an estate.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
So, the pipe in the link is almost certainly a real Dunhill to my eye. What makes you think it's fake? The stem work is correct, shape, button size, shape and size of tenon, etc.
The photos are just photos. I get a bad vibe from it, to say the least. Besides the prices, check out the delivery times, the inaccurate descriptions of the pipes, the site ownership (apparently two women), the male hand holding the pipes, etc. Apparently someone knows enough to post the pipes' dimensions, but not enough to post anything near the price of a Dunhill. Just plain odd. I'd take the OP's advice and pass. Or am I stating the obvious?--in which case, never mind.

Reactions: OldWill

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The claim was that a fake Dunhill is listed for sale. It's not the case. I'm not vouching for the vendor, I'm saying that the pipe in question is a real Dunhill.