PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If this statement by the WSJ wasn't so laughably stupid, and were it not against Forum rules to go into the subject, I could quite easily rip it to shreds.

It's popular and pointless to bitch about this false equivalency here.
In almost forty years of law practice, I’ve noticed that whatever an individual American likes to do, is considered enshrined in the liberties of free people, a divinely sanctioned right, something the Founding Fathers revolted against tyranny over, and not to be subjected to the slightest infringement by the authorities.

But if the American doesn’t like it, then it’s evil and ought to be outlawed everywhere, the same as cock fighting,,,and~~~~~

Reminds me of an old country song, but most things do:

I WANNA LIVE

The sport of cock fighting is centuries old. I never saw a cock fight before they were outlawed, but when I was very young my father went to buy a fox hound from a man whose wife said he was down on the Sac River at a coon on a log contest.

I can remember watching a raccoon on a log in the river, and hounds swimming out trying to drown the coon.

I started crying, afraid the coon would hurt the dogs, who were getting bloodied attempting to take the coon off the log.

My father explained that river families over in Cedar County had different ways than us, and we should judge not, lest we be judged.

Tolerance, is in grave danger in this nation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In almost forty years of law practice, I’ve noticed that whatever an individual American likes to do, is considered enshrined in the liberties of free people, a divinely sanctioned right, something the Founding Fathers revolted against tyranny over, and not to be subjected to the slightest infringement by the authorities.

But if the American doesn’t like it, then it’s evil and ought to be outlawed everywhere, the same as cock fighting,,,and~~~~~

Reminds me of an old country song, but most things do:

I WANNA LIVE

The sport of cock fighting is centuries old. I never saw a cock fight before they were outlawed, but when I was very young my father went to buy a fox hound from a man whose wife said he was down on the Sac River at a coon on a log contest.

I can remember watching a raccoon on a log in the river, and hounds swimming out trying to drown the coon.

I started crying, afraid the coon would hurt the dogs, who were getting bloodied attempting to take the coon off the log.

My father explained that river families over in Cedar County had different ways than us, and we should judge not, lest we be judged.

Tolerance, is in grave danger in this nation.
Tolerance, much less acceptance, and agreement, is in grave danger in this country, and all across the world. And the issue that this raises can come down to which fictions that people agree to support will survive. And make no mistake, were it not for the fictions people agree to believe cooperatively are real, we would have lost to the Neanderthals and gone extinct 40,000 years ago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It has always been possible for more than one truth to be valid at any one moment. The ability to think multi dimensionally in America threatens our civilization. The truth does not exist only at the polar opposites of any spectrum, but is usually nestled in the layered nuances of what is between.
And there are very few truths that are.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Social psychology is a huge force. People want and need to be the members of a culture, a tribe, a team, a family natural or assembled. Thinking on any individual basis is a heavy burden. When young, adolescent, we think individuality is entirely what we want, but once we move out of our parents' house, we look for groups. A sociologist, George Herbert Meade, said we construct most of our self-concept from other peoples' opinions of us -- think clothing, occupation, habits, success. Freud said the larger the mass involved in decisions, the more primitive and less rational they are. Eric Hoffer described the habits of true believers, people who raise group affinities to categorical dogmatic truths.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Tolerance, much less acceptance, and agreement, is in grave danger in this country, and all across the world. And the issue that this raises can come down to which fictions that people agree to support will survive. And make no mistake, were it not for the fictions people agree to believe cooperatively are real, we would have lost to the Neanderthals and gone extinct 40,000 years ago.

But why do you desire so much agreement? Tolerance and acceptance are not like agreement..

And why would you assume people agree with anything about Neanderthals?

Last edited:
Reactions: Carol and romaso