Favored Techniques for Pocket Knife Sharpening?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My sharpest pocket type is a #8 Opinel and a number 1 Mora. These are camp and kitchen knives more or less. The Mora is nice for slicing limes.
Serrated knives on lemons, limes, and tomatoes are game changers.

For quick fixes, I keep throw away knives from the Dollar Tree on hand in a drawer (1 regular, 1 serrated bread knife). They can be knocked around and thrown in the dishwasher.

For regular cooking, my wustofs have survived more than 20 years in several kitchens (with a separate wustof knife block at home). I also keep a block of other budget knives for guests to use.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Serrated knives on lemons, limes, and tomatoes are game changers.

For quick fixes, I keep throw away knives from the Dollar Tree on hand in a drawer (1 regular, 1 serrated bread knife). They can be knocked around and thrown in the dishwasher.

For regular cooking, my wustofs have survived more than 20 years in several kitchens (with a separate wustof knife block at home). I also keep a block of other budget knives for guests to use.
Smart.

The first time I got a pocket knife to a mirror edge, a family member asked if I had a knife. I was so proud that someone would see it! He proceeded to use it as a screwdriver to open a kids toy, putting a big knick in the tip of the blade. I learned immediately that nobody cares. I never fixed that edge. It is still razor sharp with its little scuff.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
We've got 25+years from USA made Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives plus a Wusthof and a brace of Lamsons that replaced some of the Chicagos from our set that sadly wonder off, never to return.
For the camp kitchen I have a couple of Green River knives that are easy to sharpen and hold an edge for a long time although they will rust if not properly cared for.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
He's alive! I don't mind the Lansky on small knives. You can get micro fine edges, but there is such a thing as sharp vs longevity of the edge.

Agreed. Using the Lansky on larger blades (5-6 inches or longer) is a pain. And if the blade it too large, near impossible.

I always reccomend it to novice sharpeners because if a person tries to free hand a blade with normal stones with no knowledge or experience, it could come out worse for wear. I always recommend a novice to practice free hand with an inexpensive blade that they don't mind if it gets messed up.

Also another tip that I would add is; once you have a good edge, it is far easier to keep is sharp with regular stropping than always resharpening it. If you maintain the edge with stropping, you shouldn't have to sharpen but rarely. There are exceptions of course.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I use a work sharp guided sharpening system. It is the one that has worked best for me over the years. I can get my edc sharp enough to shave the hair on the back of my hand. At some point, I would like to work with whetstones.