PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
After a wonderful dinner with friends, we built a fire in the fire pit and had a great time visiting. My friend and I had a wonderful pipe smoke together. I decided to smoke the Country Squire, Old Tobey for the first time in the MM Charles Towne Cobbler.
A flavorful, smooth aromatic: not too goopy or overdone. It had a buttery, toasted almonds, cinnamon spice note, like candied almonds they sell at the Fair. I enjoyed it very much, but found myself wondering how it would smoke with a pinch of Latakia in it. ?
Perhaps try - Hunting Creek and Northwest Trek - English aeromatics - drop the perique and add black cavendish and latakia. I believe Northwest Trek has slightly more latakia than Hunting Creek. I've heard both are excellent but i have only tried Northwest Trek and found it full and tasty but a little dizzying trying latakia for the first time ! I bought that one because a few members on another thread preferred it to the other for the fuller latakia 'presence' (?). Old Tobey is a standby for me for a mild sweet treat. Or you could by straight latakia and blend your own.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
First Bowl of the day : Old Tobey in a MM Mark Twain outside with the birds waiting for the colombian coffee to brew. Second Bowl was Green Dragon in a Vauen Olaf bent egg --- I tried Capstan Blue flake yesterday and thought it was a tea with honey flavor; Green Dragon is more tea with slightly less honey to me. Very good and both seemed to have the similar aftertaste. As for birds : a big white hawk landed on top of the tulip poplar Thursday afternoon until it was chased off by birds raising young. Today it flew over the yard and I got a perfect look at it from the side and underneath. It was a leucistic (Albino) Red Tail Hawk --- pure white with an egg yolk yellow beak ! Albinism is rare but more common in red tails because they are so numerous. Nice early morning treat all around. Coffee was good too !

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Good morning all. I’m hanging out on the porch this morning, while the temps are still tolerable. Having my weekend usuals; Burley Morning Pipe in a cob , and coffee with bourbon cream. I’ll share some photos of my smoking sanctuary. Cheers!

View attachment 153216

View attachment 153218
View attachment 153219
View attachment 153220
View attachment 153221
I had that same tobacco this morning with coffee, so good! I'm really enjoying the KVB burley blends along with Fireside Chat. You have a much nicer smoking sanctuary, unfortunately I'm in the city, although it was a relatively quiet Chicago morning. Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.