PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I recently acquired an estate Castello Epoca in the rare "rock" style that was listed on ebay. The pipe was described as in near-mint condition and in particular that there were no modifications. (See screenshot.) The pipe was overpriced and sat for several weeks before the vendor and I agreed on a price. The pipe had an army mount and looked to be in excellent condition but I came to the conclusion that the stem was a replacement. Although it was an excellent reproduction and had the typical white insert, it lacked the nomenclature and convexity at the shank end that all genuine Castello stems have. The stem also didn't draw well and I discovered that the opening of the airway was a pinhole instead of the usual slot. (See pics.)

If I was only interested in the pipe to smoke, I might have lived with the replacement stem. Because it had been priced as a collectible, I couldn't keep it. Fortunately, the vendor was willing to honor his pledge to accept returns but, presumably because he's located in Italy, he refused to reimburse the shipping. No big deal. I'm only out of pocket about $80, which is a fraction of what I paid. The vendor has a good reputation and I have no idea whether he knew whether the stem was a replacement. But I thought I should recount my experience here because the pipe will almost certainly be listed on ebay again. Caveat emptor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 4.47.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 4.47.29 PM.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6127.jpeg
    IMG_6127.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6128.jpeg
    IMG_6128.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6129.jpeg
    IMG_6129.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6130.jpeg
    IMG_6130.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 28

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Yes, I saw part of your collection in KC and it was most impressive,
Thanks! I built the collection to be displayed at shows and was a lot of fun to show it off in KC. Since that show in 2015 the collection has gotten larger and I think a very unique piece that I’m very excited about was added today!

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the bowl before returning it. The best I can do is this tiny photo from my purchase record (pic 5).

You guys are making me wish I'd checked here first and recorded the date of manufacture because it's possible that Castello has modified the way it makes its stems.

I still think there is enough doubt about the genuineness of the stem to make me wary. The pipe would not deserve the "collectible" price it was listed for if the stem were a replacement.

Based on my experience with Castellos, the stems have 4 features:
1) the white slot insert on the top,
2) engraved nomenclature on the underside (pic 1, an Epoca stem).
3) a convex shank end (pic 2, an army mount stem), and
4) an open airway with an elongated hole in the slot (pic 3, a different army mount stem).

The stem on the estate Epoca has the white slot on the top. And because I have an Epoca that also has a rounded rather than convex shank end, I will say the stem in question has 2 or the 4 features I would expect. Am I wrong to expect it to also have engraved nomenclature and a less restricted airway (and I'm not talking only about the pinhole opening (pic 4 from the questionable stem))?

Attachments

• IMG_6158.jpeg
    IMG_6158.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6148.jpeg
    IMG_6148.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6155.jpeg
    IMG_6155.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6130.jpeg
    IMG_6130.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l140.jpg
    s-l140.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: kcghost

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Thanks! I built the collection to be displayed at shows and was a lot of fun to show it off in KC. Since that show in 2015 the collection has gotten larger and I think a very unique piece that I’m very excited about was added today!
I love what I've seen of your collection too. Hoping you'll post your new additions.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I looked over my Shape 15’s including the Epoca’s with stick bits and none have a straw size stamp. The restricted draw was Carlo Scotti thing. He thought it improved the flavor I think. I posted a backlit picture of a colored stem on page three of the Show Us Your Castello thread that shows the interior of the stem.

It’s a really nice pipe that i would have like to own at a lower price. I might have been worried that it had been buffed down but I have another with this style of Rock carving.

• Wow
Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Absolutely fascinating @davidinlax! So this was probably a genuine Castello stem after all. I hope I'm not rationalizing but, given the premium price, I don't regret returning the pipe.

Do you have an estimate as to when the pipe was made?

Last edited:
Reactions: kcghost
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the bowl before returning it. The best I can do is this tiny photo from my purchase record (pic 5).

You guys are making me wish I'd checked here first and recorded the date of manufacture because it's possible that Castello has modified the way it makes its stems.

I still think there is enough doubt about the genuineness of the stem to make me wary. The pipe would not deserve the "collectible" price it was listed for if the stem were a replacement.

Based on my experience with Castellos, the stems have 4 features:
1) the white slot insert on the top,
2) engraved nomenclature on the underside (pic 1, an Epoca stem).
3) a convex shank end (pic 2, an army mount stem), and
4) an open airway with an elongated hole in the slot (pic 3, a different army mount stem).

The stem on the estate Epoca has the white slot on the top. And because I have an Epoca that also has a rounded rather than convex shank end, I will say the stem in question has 2 or the 4 features I would expect. Am I wrong to expect it to also have engraved nomenclature and a less restricted airway (and I'm not talking only about the pinhole opening (pic 4 from the questionable stem))?
Be careful what you wish for :)

• Haha
Reactions: dunnyboy