PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hustle on Netflix. Adam Sandler does a great job playing a basketball scout who discovers a street ball player in Spain. I know, it might not sound interesting, but it’s a very good movie… and you don’t even have to like basketball, but it doesn’t hurt. 5/5

View attachment 151335
Just finished HUSTLE and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. This is not the usual silly Adam Sandler movie. I rate the movie 4/5, but since I'm an NBA fan and there's quite a few NBA stars in it...I bump it up to 5/5.

I agree with STP, you don't have to be a basketball fan to enjoy HUSTLE.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just finished HUSTLE and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. This is not the usual silly Adam Sandler movie. I rate the movie 4/5, but since I'm an NBA fan and there's quite a few NBA stars in it...I bump it up to 5/5.

I agree with STP, you don't have to be a basketball fan to enjoy HUSTLE.
Saw this and thought of the Burt Reynolds/Catherine Deneuve movie. Dating myself and it wasn’t that great, just typical Burt fare.

Almost forgot, it is a 3/5 for me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Plane Savers (Season One) on YouTube. Production values are simple: Mikey McBryan shot most of the episodes with a GoPro, but the story about the restoration and subsequent flight of a Douglas DC-3 which had sat abandoned at a Canadian airport for 27-years is compelling and delightful. If you are an aviation buff, then give this one a look. I rate it 5/5.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hustle on Netflix. Adam Sandler does a great job playing a basketball scout who discovers a street ball player in Spain. I know, it might not sound interesting, but it’s a very good movie… and you don’t even have to like basketball, but it doesn’t hurt. 5/5

View attachment 151335
Il second the 5/5 for Hustle. Very good.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wife has been off her feed for a couple of days, so forced lounging around the vacation cottage in County Wicklow and coming up with some good yet bland meals are on the menu for today for me - turned on a television for the first time in a couple of weeks and was surprised with four episodes of Maverick on the Sky TCM channel starting early this morning and now . . . watching The Sheepman, one of my favorite Glenn Ford movies. The first fifteen minutes or so are a brilliant hook for this movie. This pic obviously isn't from the movie, but it's a pipe forum! Even better, one of my favorite films of all time, The Searchers is on this evening. Hope to get in an afternoon stroll about the countryside, we'll see.

This movie, for the genre (I consider it similar to James Garner's Support Your Local Sheriff, but a lot more edgy), is solid entertainment.

5* out of 5.

And to save having to post later, The Searchers is a solid 10* out of 5. :)

5CB21AFB-89D1-43FA-BB9E-AE398C8D6DE9.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Britbox has some new series, all of which are worth watching.
One of my favorites is Redemption which tells the story of Detective Colette Cunningham who travels to Dublin after learning of her estranged daughter's death by suicide. Her goal is to establish a relationship with her grandchildren and atone for the actions that caused her daughter to ghost her, but she also becomes increasingly suspicious that her daughter's death was not suicide.
Very well produced, well written and well acted.
This is another series by the creators of Bay, one of my favorites.

5 out of 5.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
"Gideon of Scotland Yard/Gideon's Day" - directed by John Ford. Starring Jack Hawkins - a favorite of mine. Never seen it before, so far it's pretty good. I'll give it a prospective 4* out of 5!
View attachment 152155

If you enjoyed this - I highly recommend this:

The Third Key (1956) - IMDb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049845/

Considering when it was made, it’s an excellent police investigation character study. Methodical professionals doing their job.

I give it 4.5/5. I halfheartedly started watching it on a whim and then really settled in when I realized how tightly written it was.

By the end I was saying ‘yes, this is solid good old fashioned movie making.”

The title is either “The Third Key“ or “The Long Arm“ depending on what country it was released in.

05BA74EB-0F15-45AB-8541-567BED7C9397.jpeg

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ

View attachment 151335

I'd give it a 3.5, a lot to like about it, worth watching, some odd story holes for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

elison85

Lurker
Jun 22, 2022
I am currently watching friends season 1 (https://subdl.live/friends-season-1-subtitles/) and I love this show! So basically this is one of best sitcoms I've ever seen. The way the story revolves around these six bestfriends, how they have this unbreakable bond with each other. Honestly I never get bored seeing this sitcom again and again.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Recently I have watching an English series Pie in the Sky starring Richard Griffiths. Story line involves a police detective who is also a chef in a restaurant. It is a little jarring to see a guy who is north of 400 pounds be the star of a show but he is quite good. There are 39 episodes of this series. The show ended after the fifth season when the star died on the operating table. There is only one murder in the entire series so if you looking for blood and gore you won't find it here.

4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.