PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Help needed: I’ve been looking at the Charatans replacements for the Dunhill blends but don’t know where to start if I’m honest.

From what I’ve read and watched, they never really came close to replacing the Dunhill’s by all accounts, but I’m wondering if there might be a little gem hiding out in the Charatans range?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
There are three I thought were pretty standout. First Bowl, Rolls, & Virginia Three Years Matured. I didn't really rate the other eight I've tried.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
K&K for Tor Imports: CHARATAN | Tor Imports - https://www.tor-imports.co.uk/charatan pipe tobacco =I think they're distributed in the US under a different name.
Thanks! K&K also makes the McConnell clones of Dunhill. I wonder if they're the same as the Charatan clones.

I've only had the McConnell Oriental Square, a supposed facsimile to Durbar. It was missing the house Dunhill flavor that seemed common through all the Murray Dunhill latakia blends. But otherwise not bad. K&K generally does a good job.

As my generally philosophy is you've gotta try them all, you can start anywhere!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The "house flavor" is indeed usually missing from Dunhill clones. I don't know what it is, the "thickness" of the flavor, that leathery feel to the smoke.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Thanks! K&K also makes the McConnell clones of Dunhill. I wonder if they're the same as the Charatan clones.
That must have been what I was half remembering (& the assumption I made too).

There aren't many reviews for the Charatan versions, but the consensus seems to be that they're generally not great clones. That sauce I guess!

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
I love Charatan's Victorian, a clone of Dunhill Elizabethan, but better for my taste. I like much also the Virginia Three Year Matured and the Rolls

Reactions: SaxonX and Toast