PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
When I had a shop years ago, every year I would order several dozen of the Savinelli "specials". These were their lower grade pipes that came in an assortment of shapes and fainshes and they would put your store name on them at no charge. They were a pretty good deal and sold well at $39.95. I have about a dozen in my collection and because they take the balsa I use them to smoke aromatics and anything else that isn't English. They're all good smokers.

The thing is, the rather inexpensie pipes are all good smokers, but the time I added a $300 autograph to my collection, what a disappointment. It was a terrible smoke. So, you don't always get what you pay for in pipes.

p.s. I've never had a Castello that didn't smoke like a dream! Maybe that has something to do with their reputation. Ya think? puffy

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
The thing is, the rather inexpensie pipes are all good smokers, but the time I added a $300 autograph to my collection, what a disappointment. It was a terrible smoke. So, you don't always get what you pay for in pipes
On the other hand, I have an alleged Autograph reject, a second or something, called a "Hand Made" that is beyond any doubt one of the best smoking pipes I own. Wish I had a sackful of them. However, I'm afraid to check the tenon now for its method of construction.

Tabacco

May 1, 2020
GA - USA
Wait! Savinelli can have problem?
This month I have purchased 8 Savinelli pipes, all Punto Oro.
One, a 614, was improperly drilled, the draft hole was off to the right and high.
Two have the gold dot off from the centerline of the stem. OK this is only esthetical but still odd.
So, in short, 37.5% defect rate on their top tier line after the Giubileo.

And, by the way, I had to pay to send the 614 back to SP.

Great smokers though, and beautiful pipes with above average grain (especially considering the price) IMHO.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This month I have purchased 8 Savinelli pipes, all Punto Oro.
One, a 614, was improperly drilled, the draft hole was off to the right and high.
Two have the gold dot off from the centerline of the stem. OK this is only esthetical but still odd.
So, in short, 37.5% defect rate on their top tier line after the Giubileo.

And, by the way, I had to pay to send the 614 back to SP.

Great smokers though, and beautiful pipes with above average grain (especially considering the price) IMHO.
if it smokes great how can the draft hole be wrong? Though 614 is pretty much the shape of pipe I prefer.

Reactions: ofafeather

Tabacco

May 1, 2020
GA - USA
if it smokes great how can the draft hole be wrong? Though 614 is pretty much the shape of pipe I prefer.
As I said I returned the 614 that was drilled sideway so I do not know how would have smoked.
My comment about how great they smoke was about the other ones.

Tabacco

May 1, 2020
GA - USA
......614 is pretty much the shape of pipe I prefer.
By the way, two of the ones I kept are are 614's.

WBDTpmW.jpg

felix Cappuccio

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2021
Hello Everyone,
New member, but I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to my issue. I recently went to SmokingPipes.com and purchased a relatively expensive Savinelli Autograph for $268 along with a number of other accessories and some Drucquer & Sons Loch Ness Pipe Tobacco (which is really good), to explore some pipe smoking action. Everything was going great until I went to remove the stem from my pipe and it came apart. The inner sleeve separated from the mouthpiece, and now the only way to remove the stem is with a pair of pliers, wrapping a rubber band around it to keep it from getting damaged. I was hoping by spending some money on a known brand, it would be pretty straight forward, but I'm super disappointed that I now have an issue to deal with. I reached out to SmokingPipes.com to see if they would honor the product since I spent nearly $500 with them, but I was about to take a trip and excited to bring my pipe with me, but now I'm out of luck. It's too late to order another pipe and get it here before I leave, and I'm wondering if there's an easy fix to this. Attached are some pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about: View attachment 147191

View attachment 147192

View attachment 147193
Try sending it to JM Boswell tobacconist they do great pipe repairs.

Mar 1, 2014
p.s. I've never had a Castello that didn't smoke like a dream! Maybe that has something to do with their reputation. Ya think? puffy
While Castello certainly deserves their reputation, the primary difference between Castello and a $40 Savinelli is Castello uses a 4mm drill bit in the stem instead of a 3mm drill bit.
Every Savinelli coming off the line could be practically as good as a Castello if they would just swap the size of one tool.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
While Castello certainly deserves their reputation, the primary difference between Castello and a $40 Savinelli is Castello uses a 4mm drill bit in the stem instead of a 3mm drill bit.
Every Savinelli coming off the line could be practically as good as a Castello if they would just swap the size of one tool.
And drill to pass a pipe cleaner. And get rid of the filter system. But yeah. Sure.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The larger draft hole helps prevent moisture build up in the stem. puffy

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I received a Punto Oro 641KS yesterday finally. The chamber has two imperfections in it. I emailed the retailer last night and am waiting on a reply about returning the pipe. Total bummer and I definitely expected better from Savinelli.IMG_20220601_153246.jpgIMG_20220601_153213.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I received a Punto Oro 641KS yesterday finally. The chamber has two imperfections in it. I emailed the retailer last night and am waiting on a reply about returning the pipe. Total bummer and I definitely expected better from Savinelli.View attachment 148765View attachment 148766
Really?? A couple of small pits? Those should cake over nicely and won't be a problem if smoked right.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It would not be a problem for me at all.

Some folks- not pointing at you- spend too much time on how symmetrical every aspect of the pipe is.
Fair point. Maybe my expectations are too high, but in this case I don't think so

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, that sucks but shit happens, once this moment passes, it will be just a faint memory. As said before, SPC will definitely make it right.