PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
Wow, so many great recommendations! Thank you!

I should maybe add or qualify that I think it’s the rich tangy bbq now in the DFK that I’m enjoying. I’m not specifically looking for a nicotine wallop. I’m a bit of a lightweight in that department actually.
I've been following this with a lot of interest. I've been looking for that rich BBQ also. now to decide Old Dark Fired flake or rubbed out. With arthritis, I may lean to rubbed out. lol

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
+1 for WLT fire cured. By far the tangiest BBQ I have tried. I blend it in at around 10% with double down.

Revor plug is the most interesting dark fired blend I have tried.
Sorry to bump the "old" thread, I think it's still relevant. Are you talking about the "Kentucky Fire Cured VA 309" on the wholeleaftobacco .com website? I'm looking for the bbq flavor. I was just concerned that is says "VA", meaning Virginia? I thought most fired Kentucky was burley? Also, how do you break it down, would just cutting it up work, with say scissors or a grinder? Thank you

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Sorry to bump the "old" thread, I think it's still relevant. Are you talking about the "Kentucky Fire Cured VA 309" on the wholeleaftobacco .com website? I'm looking for the bbq flavor. I was just concerned that is says "VA", meaning Virginia? I thought most fired Kentucky was burley? Also, how do you break it down, would just cutting it up work, with say scissors or a grinder? Thank you
The WLT fire cured I purchased was labelled Tennessee fire cured. Im not personally familiar with their current offering, but I had a quick look at reviews and it seems to still be what one would expect from a dark fired leaf. Maybe @F4RM3R could confirm whether there are any noticeable differences between them?

i also really like the dark fired leaf from leaf only. It’s less bbq sauce. I’m saying that, I’ve had both brands sitting for about 2 years now and they have mellowed immensely.

in terms of prep, I like using a knife and I fear the leaf may clog up your grinder. I press my leaf inside a plastic bag in a bench vice and then slice it into something like broken flake and then rub out. Or you can quickly roll the leaf into a quick stick and then slice off coins, and then slice the entire batch through the middle. This gives a fairly consistent cut, affectionately known as “bobs chop”

Reactions: Osirus

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
The WLT fire cured I purchased was labelled Tennessee fire cured. Im not personally familiar with their current offering, but I had a quick look at reviews and it seems to still be what one would expect from a dark fired leaf. Maybe @F4RM3R could confirm whether there are any noticeable differences between them?

i also really like the dark fired leaf from leaf only. It’s less bbq sauce. I’m saying that, I’ve had both brands sitting for about 2 years now and they have mellowed immensely.

in terms of prep, I like using a knife and I fear the leaf may clog up your grinder. I press my leaf inside a plastic bag in a bench vice and then slice it into something like broken flake and then rub out. Or you can quickly roll the leaf into a quick stick and then slice off coins, and then slice the entire batch through the middle. This gives a fairly consistent cut, affectionately known as “bobs chop”
Great, thank you! I like what you said earlier (or in another post- I've been using the "search" function quite a bit) about the leaf makes you think about tobacco as a plant more than a commodity. Really puts it in perspective and enhances the appreciation.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky. I actually prefer it more than ODF as it has a lot more slap n tickle, but I cellar both.

Rattray's Hal o the Wynd is a masterful use of the stuff, if you want some VaPer with your ODF. I smoke this regularly and put away bags and bags of it.

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is another favorite, but for me starts to get into aromatic territory to me as I don't usually smoke aromatic mixtures. It is currently out of production, but seems to waffle back and forth from this status. Peter Heinrich Dark Strong Flake is nearly identical, though they do show some differences when compared side by side.
Go bold or go home lol, I want to get my hands on some Malawi

Reactions: Osirus