PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
View attachment 146687

One of Baki's personal meers. It's a "translucent"...
My all time favorite meer pic. I remember the first time I saw that years ago I had no idea it was a different type of block from "standard" meers.

I still find it a bit perplexing that apparently no other meer producer has ever made a distinction regarding these blocks besides Altinay, and it's something that I don't recall ever being discussed before they started marketing them as translucent.

It would be nice if some of the other sellers would start making this known in the descriptions of specific pipes when they are carved from these types of blocks.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My all time favorite meer pic. I remember the first time I saw that years ago I had no idea it was a different type of block from "standard" meers.

I still find it a bit perplexing that apparently no other meer producer has ever made a distinction regarding these blocks besides Altinay, and it's something that I don't recall ever being discussed before they started marketing them as translucent.

It would be nice if some of the other sellers would start making this known in the descriptions of specific pipes when they are carved from these types of blocks.
PS: I would also add that the other sellers are missing out on a profit opportunity because Altinay charges a not-insignificant premium on these pipes.

Reactions: cshubhra

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Well....they got 2 translucent meers on their site now...one already sold one with bamboo remains there...I had no idea that the price is this high for them but for some it is worth it..I would rather get Baki for less than half of that...

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Congrats & Enjoy! ? ? ?

I wonder about these too, I was just looking on Altinay and noticed this one, first time I’d heard about these, hmm ?

Hello @Said.ALTINAY ?

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Congrats & Enjoy! ? ? ?

I wonder about these too, I was just looking on Altinay and noticed this one, first time I’d heard about these, hmm ?

Hello @Said.ALTINAY ?
This is the one of them new pipes Altinay put on their website..this one sold and another one with bamboo is still there..It looks like a beautiful material just screaming-color me!!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I had no idea that the price is this high for them but for some it is worth it..I would rather get Baki for less than half of that...
They haven't normally been that expensive in the past. They typically charge a premium for pipes with bamboo as well as the translucent blocks...so in this case you're seeing both together which has to be why the price is that high.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They haven't normally been that expensive in the past. They typically charge a premium for pipes with bamboo as well as the translucent blocks...so in this case you're seeing both together which has to be why the price is that high.
There has been a recent $40-$90 increase in meerschaum pipes across the board. No more for me unless I find an interesting estate piece.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There has been a recent $40-$90 increase in meerschaum pipes across the board. No more for me unless I find an interesting estate piece.
Yeah I've noticed that too...but in this case it's much more than that, I believe for the reasons I stated.

And I feel the same as you...really shouldn't buy any more of them anyway...I have enough pipes for this lifetime. But we all know how PAD is.

Unfortunately...or perhaps fortunately...I can't purchase any more from Altinay anyway, because their payment system will not work for me any longer...and cannot be remedied either through them or through my card company. Has something to do with them being in Turkey I suppose.

Reactions: Chasing Embers