PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
What is the significance of the numbers when it comes to Peterson and Savinelli (maybe others) pipes? Eg Peterson Heritage System Standard 313

Is the 313 just a model number unique to the company, or is it something else, such as a particular shape/style?

Reactions: Servant King

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Many of the numbers will be from the company’s shape chart, or a size or grade.

Some have other significance. For example, I think with Peterson, the 300-series are system pipes. I have both an 01 bent pot, and a 301 system standard bent pot from them.

Reactions: paulfg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What is the significance of the numbers when it comes to Peterson and Savinelli (maybe others) pipes? Eg Peterson Heritage System Standard 313

Is the 313 just a model number unique to the company, or is it something else, such as a particular shape/style?
it's how many times you can smoke it before it will poison you. Not fatally but your nips will get lose and fall off. Why do you think more men smoke pipes!?! Nah just a model number
though the best model numbers are 10 digits long

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I worked in the restaurant industry for nearly half my life. The term "86" or "86'd" is an industry wide term meaning the restaurant is out of either an ingredient or particular dish. Generally, you would tell a server hand have the server tell their "friends" when something is 86'd to avoid having a customer order something the restaurant is out of.

Once, we told a server who was all looks and no brains that we were 86 lasa (short for lasagna). 15 minutes later, she rings in a lasagna. When asked why she rang in a lasagna when we told her it was sold out 15 minutes ago, the response was "I though 86 lasa was a car and didn't know how to respond" and then she walked away.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
With Peterson it’s about the catalogue shape. An 05 is a calabash, an 05s is a calabash deluxe (can also be a calabash spigot), a 305 is a System calabash, and a XL315 is a larger dimension system calabash.
With the Sherlock series they didn’t stamp a catalogue number but delineated standard shapes with Sherlock references. Mycroft, Watson etc. by the way, the calabash is “the original” in that line. And yes; I’m obsessed with Pete calabash, and include the XL11 with the others.