PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wicked Pissa, another Boston guy. welcome to site. If you need any help jut reach out a I am sure you figured I know more than 90% more than the pikers on this site Oh yeah fuck Mookie Betz that greedy prick. I am done watching the sox after over 60 years.

Reactions: FrozenFlame

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC!! What you need more than anything else is someone who will teach you how to smoke a pipe. A pipe is not a cigarette. Most importantly remember to pack your pipe a little lighter, smoke slowly, and don't inhale if you can avoid it.

FrozenFlame

Lurker
May 4, 2022
boston, ma
THanks everyone for the warm welcome. Im used to smoking american spirits black version which is theyre perique blend. Anything come close in your guy's opinion?

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Welcome from your own town. You are in luck. Head over to L.J. Peretti at 2 1/2 Park square near the corner where the Common and the Public Garden intersect. Ask for Steve as he is the owner. Tell him your story and he will help you with advice on some tobacco choices and techniques. It is a great, albeit small, store which has been around for 150 years. BTW, i do not work there and am simply a long time customer. They can be brusque (Boston nice) but if they know you are sincere they will be helpful and even kind.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

smokingpipes.com has a list of their top selling tobaccos sorted by types (aromatic, Virginia, English, etc.). There are descriptions of the blends. See what sounds interesting. From these lists, you can probably find popular blends that are available in bulk, and pick up an ounce or two of several kinds and build your own sampler; this way, you can try several mixtures without a huge commitment or investment and explore what flavours might appeal to you. Then, you can branch out and explore more deeply if you like.

Reactions: FrozenFlame

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Welcome from Central Texas.
Some inexpensive pipes to add include Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Mexico and Carey Magic Inch. WVSmokeshop carries the first three, an EA Carey Tobacconist is the source for the last one.
I imagine you would like some inexpensive shag cut Virginia blends, which you can find made by Sutliff and Lane in bulk, so you can order 1-2 oz. to try.
As far as burleys go, I always recommend Granger to a new pipe smoker, or if you desire a much stronger burley, there is Old Joe Krantz and the redoubtable Five Brothers.
Enjoy the hobby, and cheers!
I have been debating about buying a Magic Inch. As some may know, I love the "odd" pipes, and the Carey system seems to be pretty cool. Some of the older examples I've seen on eBay even appear to have very nice quality briar. I wish I could try one first...I wonder if those coupons to get one for 30 days free would still work? ?

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Welcome from Kansas City!
You’re starting off with a great pipe and some excellent blends in my opinion.
Check out LJ Peretti as others have suggested. They have a great selection of preparatory blends and I’m sure they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.