PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
People have been caught doing way naughtier things on zoom. I think you're safe with the pipe. If not, just point to the other high profile non-pipe smokers exposing their... err... pipes. Some perspective may help them out if you get negative comments.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
My employer is pretty liberal with our use of video conferencing software. It allows us to collaborate at a distance, to the point of being able to take control of each other's screen to move the cursor, navigate software, etc. The older co-workers and management are skeptical, but we've been smashing records working at a distance, so it all comes down to how comfortable the user is with technology and the performance numbers don't lie.

To the OP's question, I can't smoke on Zoom or what have you because I'm usually the talking head on camera. For large training events, however, smoking a pipe with camera and mic off helps keep me awake and give me something to focus on.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The question from the way you put it, does she know she's your girlfriend? ;)
I'm like 'Where's Waldo?' She doesn't even notice me.

But seriously - I am around for 99% of her Zoom meetings, and they are no more or less productive than the countless conference room meetings I attended when I worked, but probably a little more productive than the phone conferences, because people can at least tell you're not off making a sandwich or getting a beer.

But the fact that they're no worse is good enough reason for them to exist.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Didn't you know the dangers of 7th hand smoke, which is able to infiltrate other peoples home's through their modem (via a satellite in space)?????? SO inconsiderate.

Being self employed and working alone in the workshop, the most I have to worry about is pipe ash spilling on to the piece of furniture I was just about to oil...and the workshop burning down I guess.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't you know the dangers of 7th hand smoke, which is able to infiltrate other peoples home's through their modem (via a satellite in space)?????? SO inconsiderate.

Being self employed and working alone in the workshop, the most I have to worry about is pipe ash spilling on to the piece of furniture I was just about to oil...and the workshop burning down I guess.
Wifi amplified smoke is downright toxic.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Most of my Zoom time is pipe related so I smoke and drink like I would in a smoke filled room with the guys. When I’m doing remote work related classes and training I never smoke on camera. I avoid eating in all on camera situations.

Reactions: JOHN72

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
When I was doing internet training classes ten years ago, we didn't use video except to present class material. I was always very grateful for that!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Actually, I risk the possibility of harsh judgement and potential shunning or other consequences. It's the USA in 2022 and sadly there is a lot of fear these days much of it justified. One misinterpreted word or action, etc and it can go poorly. Smoking (unless it is weed it seems) is considered very bad form in many circles... I will leave the camera off :(. As an aside I find it amazing weed is being legalized while at the same time tobacco is being shunned...they both cause health problems but the weed lobby is very strong and tobacco companies are demonized. America...the land of the double standard :(. I wish it weren't so
I feel this is mostly due to the association with "big tobacco". Unfortunately, the pipe is seen as being similar to cigarettes or vaping (at least in the US). People don't bother looking into similarities or differences between pipes and cigarettes. But I will say that I get many a compliment on my pipe when I'm smoking it in public. Not necessarily the smell of it, but the act of smoking it. People think it's neat and old school, so that was surprising.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Zoom! Good, bad and indifferent. But extremely useful. In general I am very glad it existed- and exists- in quarantine times.

I smoke sometimes in a meeting, but that means outside, weather dependent.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Actually, I risk the possibility of harsh judgement and potential shunning or other consequences. It's the USA in 2022 and sadly there is a lot of fear these days much of it justified. One misinterpreted word or action, etc and it can go poorly. Smoking (unless it is weed it seems) is considered very bad form in many circles... I will leave the camera off :(. As an aside I find it amazing weed is being legalized while at the same time tobacco is being shunned...they both cause health problems but the weed lobby is very strong and tobacco companies are demonized. America...the land of the double standard :(. I wish it weren't so
Bingo! Smart man. It’s really not worth the trouble of the shit storm that would bring. I’ll smoke in public no problem but not during a work meeting.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
You LOST a client because you wouldn’t wear a mask IN YOUR HOME while on a Zoom meeting?!?!?!? Wow. To me, it sounds like a client WORTH losing. ?
I lost two, in fact. Both so compliant that they wanted family portraits done with their masks on. And yes, even with the drastic reduction in business during that time period, I didn't mind losing those two ?

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
It's been funny, I was teaching university seminars over zoom during lockdown. The students were very well behaved at first, but soon one started vaping, then another was smoking cigarettes, and soon it was like being back in the 1980s. Everyone was smoking or vaping while we discussed philosophy or whatever the topic of the day was. Needless to say, I didn't care. We are all adults. I did not smoke myself, just to keep up appearances, but it was nice.