Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
I find it interesting that while still relatively new to pipes, I've spent far more time on the "hobby" side than the actual smoking! There's a lot to learn and lots of information!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I find it interesting that while still relatively new to pipes, I've spent far more time on the "hobby" side than the actual smoking! There's a lot to learn and lots of information!
Later on you'll find yourself using less and less of what you've learned to smoke a pipe and that overthinking is one of the most detrimental things to it.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Later on you'll find yourself using less and less of what you've learned to smoke a pipe and that overthinking is one of the most detrimental things to it.
I really hope so! I've spent more time than I'd like analyzing the best, most economical, and most aesthetic way to label my mason jars most recently! Painter's tape with a sharpie works just fine on the other hand!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
You can burn relative cheap but still quality tobacco in a satisfying way in a pipe compared to cigars (expensive for a bit of quality) and cigarettes (not satisfying to me).
True. I smoked cigarettes for 20 years not knowing any better. A pipeful of tobacco is so much more of an experience than a cigarette with its fast, ashflavored buzz.
Yet when I crave nicotine, which isn't so often anymore, it's cigarettes that come to mind. Their addictiveness is strong.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
True. I smoked cigarettes for 20 years not knowing any better. A pipeful of tobacco is so much more of an experience than a cigarette with its fast, ashflavored buzz.
Yet when I crave nicotine, which isn't so often anymore, it's cigarettes that come to mind. Their addictiveness is strong.
I'm lucky to not crave very fast to anything. I smoked cigs when I was in my late teens and early twenties like a lot of wannabee cool kids did and quited cold turkey because it didn't feel right anymore. The past 2 years I used my tobacco in cigars and pipe to relax a little, think over things when I had to, I dare to say it helped me on a profesional and personal level a lot. It wasn't even a nicotine thing to me. I wouldn't say using tobacco this way has made me another person or the person I am today, but I don't think I can ignore the effects of it on the before mentioned.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
I've smoked cigs for about the same amount of time. I cannot recall them ever really "tasting" good. I switched to roll your own (which saves about 75% of the cost) and use better tobacco that smells good, but it still tastes bleh. Especially after tasting pipe tobacco. That's why I'm obsessing a bit now, as I'd like to totally switch and have no excuses about not having pipes, tools, or tobacco.

And I find your footer quote hilariously accurate, regarding "smoking and statistics" haha!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've smoked cigs for about the same amount of time. I cannot recall them ever really "tasting" good. I switched to roll your own (which saves about 75% of the cost) and use better tobacco that smells good, but it still tastes bleh. Especially after tasting pipe tobacco. That's why I'm obsessing a bit now, as I'd like to totally switch and have no excuses about not having pipes, tools, or tobacco.

And I find your footer quote hilariously accurate, regarding "smoking and statistics" haha!
You made me laugh. I'd forgotten about that.

• Haha
Reactions: Osirus

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm kind of in the EVERYTHING camp as well. I started out simply enjoying smoking a pipe. This started out with enjoying the flavors and scents of tobaccos, then moved to becoming more and more interested in the pipes in which I smoked those tobaccos, then interested in refining my smoking practices to get the most flavors from the blends I smoked, and then more interest in the history, lore and background of the whole pipe smoking "thing".

There's something in all of this that appeals to the OCD in many of us. We get caught up with different blends, different versions of blends, different vintages and manufacturers of blends, different makers of pipes, different shapes, sizes, finishes, regional styles, modes of manufacture, and so on and so forth.

And at the base of it all, smoking a pipe is a pleasurable activity.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The utility/function is a given, but the visual aesthetics probably come first for me, whether it's the beauty of the wood, or shape and line (or a combo of those things), followed by uniqueness and possibly history. I see pipes as little sculptures that you can smoke tobacco out of; some are pretty, others, not so much, but, equally useful and have their place.

I'm less likely to take a Savinelli Autograph pipe on the go, or do yardwork with it than a Missouri Meerschaum Cob; the cob is more useful to me in those instances, and function trumps aesthetics (to protect and preserve the art).
I never take a briar to work, only cobs.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Hard to pin down.
Many different aspects comes to play.
The wood itself, the handicraft and aesthetics plus the association leaps to
old libraries, wingback chairs in paneled rooms, Sherlockiana and so forth.

Reactions: Derby and workman