Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My day began at 0200 this morning when my 11 y/o Mastiff nudged me awake. I spent the next couple hours curled up with him on the floor. He's had a rough couple days and this morning I got really worried.

My wife is out of town in Minnesota for Coast Guard business and I'm home with the kids. I took the younger ones to school this morning then came home to check on Gumbeaux, who was laying in the garage. I drank my coffee and smoked my morning pipe there this morning instead of our usual spot. Soon after he took a turn and I spent the next couple hours holding him there on the garage floor until he passed shortly after 1100.

I took this final picture of him this morning while I was getting my pipe together. You can see how tired he looked.
View attachment 144579

I don't know what was harder... watching the pups try to wake him up or laying him to rest in the back yard. I've got to tell the kids later too.

We smoked one last pipe together as I laid him to rest. Here's to good, loyal, loving dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss, looks like a great dog. He very fortunate to have had you as a friend and caretaker.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
My day began at 0200 this morning when my 11 y/o Mastiff nudged me awake. I spent the next couple hours curled up with him on the floor. He's had a rough couple days and this morning I got really worried.

My wife is out of town in Minnesota for Coast Guard business and I'm home with the kids. I took the younger ones to school this morning then came home to check on Gumbeaux, who was laying in the garage. I drank my coffee and smoked my morning pipe there this morning instead of our usual spot. Soon after he took a turn and I spent the next couple hours holding him there on the garage floor until he passed shortly after 1100.

I took this final picture of him this morning while I was getting my pipe together. You can see how tired he looked.
View attachment 144579

I don't know what was harder... watching the pups try to wake him up or laying him to rest in the back yard. I've got to tell the kids later too.

We smoked one last pipe together as I laid him to rest. Here's to good, loyal, loving dogs.

So sorry to hear this brother. Prayers for peace to you and yours my friend.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island

View attachment 144579

I am sorry for you, and your family, for the passing of Gumbeaux. It is difficult, yes. Cherish those memories you had together!