PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Every time I’m in a Cracker Barrel, I always look around to notice the antique tobacco cans and signs they have on the wall. But yesterday when I was there, I caught myself gazing up at all the antiques hanging from the ceiling and wondering if they ever occasionally have any old pipes for sale. I highly doubt it, but thought I’d ask here anyway. Has anyone ever spotted one, or even bought from there?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Too busy thinking about the chicken dumplings to look for tobacco. Usually have plenty of tobacco already with.
Not exactly the same, but you can make "mock" chicken and dumplings with cream of chicken soup, frozen vegetables, and the frozen pierogies for a quick and filling weeknight meal.

I like the ambiance of Cracker Barrel and old timey theme, but the food never really spoke to me.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I don’t even understand this chicken and dumplings comment. If you go to Cracker Barrel for all three meals during a day, you order breakfast for all three meals. That’s how Cracker Barrel works. ?
That's how Ihop works. For Cracker Barrel, Chicken and dumplins or chicken fried steak is where it's at! Fried okra and Mac and cheese for the sides every time.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
If you're looking for antique NOS briars DC, check out www.markenpipes.com
A 100+yo German pipe shop closed that must have had thousands of NOS pipes.
The dealer must have bought the lot and was selling them on ebay.
Thanks to postal restrictions due to the scamdemic, they moved operations to the U.S.

Postage from Germany was only $12usd for up to eight pipes so I bought quite a few. [Professional and efficient service. Highly recommended]
Here's some examples [sellers pics]

They're well crafted and all of these French and German antique pipes take a cleaner through to the draught hole, even the no brand Bruyere Garantie.

60s1a.jpg
The French Skippy pipes are very good smokers and well crafted.
This little Skippy Prince is my favourite.
a1bba.jpg

a1ag.jpg
This lot I won for a ridiculously low price of around $45 IIRC.

a1bm.jpg
A 1980s Venini Apple.
These are very good smokers. I bought several Venini of various shapes. 6 of the 7 take a pipe cleaner through to the draught hole. Probably because they're not a well known brand there was not a lot of interest so I paid an average of $35 each.

v1b.jpg

Not sure what stock is left at MarkenPipes but last time I looked at their website they still had similar examples for sale.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
The trick to good dumplings is to use lard instead of vegetable shortening. You're not going to get that in a restaurant. Same with fried chicken. Wonder why it's so hard to get fried chicken like grandma used to make? Grandma used lard, not that garbage vegetable oil. I save bacon drippins for frying and seasoning too. Don't get me wrong, vegetable oil and shortening is good for baking.

Reactions: petes03 and dctune