Perique Pipe Tobacco (American Spirit Black)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FrozenFlame

Lurker
May 4, 2022
boston, ma
Im just wondering whats the best perique blend is in your opinion? Becuase i normally smoke American Spirits Black, Which is the Perique blend, so im just wondering what blends that are out there that come close to or evenly match that cigarette blend.

Reactions: highwindows

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar, Europe
The world of perique is vast and varied. If you're looking for something to match a cigarette, you may want to look for a burley-virginia-perique blend, as cigarettes usually contain burley. Cheap and easy to find blends include C&D Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz. A harder to find, but much smoother alternative is HU Nashville County.
I recommend getting a bulk ounce of Haunted Bookshop and starting from there.

Im just wondering whats the best perique blend is in your opinion? Becuase i normally smoke American Spirits Black, Which is the Perique blend, so im just wondering what blends that are out there that come close to or evenly match that cigarette blend.
Are you asking for a tobacco that matches to ASB or that matches to the taste of a cigarette? I think it is the former but I am not sure.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Genuinely curious… does American Spirit cigarettes include all the additives generally found in other brands?

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
No that’s their big marketing gimmick as it where.
Interesting. Thx.
I had a buddy who smoked them exclusively, but he never mentioned anything about them. At the time, I honestly just thought they were a budget brand and that he was trying to save a few bucks by not buying Marlboros or Camels.

P.S. I know this probably info I could just Google. But I’d rather talk to you folks than an algorithm. ?

Reactions: FLDRD

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Towards the end of my run on cigs, I smoked American Spirit Blacks and handrolls exclusively. I really thought the blacks were fantastic. I can't remember how I came to believe this, but I thought they were made up of Virginias and Perique only, at like 90/10 ratio, but please don't take that as gospel.

The D&R Rimboches are definitely worth checking out. I'd also suggest something like GL Pease Fillmore, though that is a flake, so it might not be what you're looking for. Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning has a heavier hand with the perique than the American Spirit blend, but it might be worth your while, so I second that suggestion. Haddo's Delight, though it has a bit of a liquor flavoring added, is really good, too.

Escudo (a coin cut) and Elizabethan Mixture might also be good.

Are you, or is someone you know, looking to transition off of cigarettes? Or it just a matter of like the ASBs and wanting something similar in pipe form