PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve just bought a small MM Eaton and it is smoking beautifully. The only thing is, it has a “rough” bowl, that is to say the cob hasn’t been smoothed off.
Am I right in thinking that plaster of Paris can be used to smooth it off and fill in the gaps or am I better off leaving my hand and Father Time to do that job?

Reactions: tklee and JOHN72

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
The Eaton is, as you now know, only partially smoothed in order to keep the price low. I wouldn't use plaster of paris, but if you want it smoother now, just some medium sandpaper lightly rubbed. If you want a deeper color, just lightly apply a thin ( not the gel type) wood stain to the outside only, then let it thoroughly cure.

The Eaton for me is a tester cob, not a daily smoker, so I am OK with the original finish.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Their known as "Natural" cobs and I find they smoke cooler then plaster cobs. I guess you could put a plaster surface on them if you so
It does smoke really well. I think I’m going to leave it as it is and see where it goes; it only cost me a few pounds so if it burns through I’ll just buy another.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
The Eaton is, as you now know, only partially smoothed in order to keep the price low. I wouldn't use plaster of paris, but if you want it smoother now, just some medium sandpaper lightly rubbed. If you want a deeper color, just lightly apply a thin ( not the gel type) wood stain to the outside only, then let it thoroughly cure.

The Eaton for me is a tester cob, not a daily smoker, so I am OK with the original finish.
Yes, I bought it because I have just bought some different twists and wanted to have a “disposable” pipe to try them out in before dedicating a pipe to them - trouble is, I really like the cob now because it’s light and it smokes beautifully!

I’ve had a couple of the larger sized MM cobs but I bit though the orange stems years ago and never got round to replacing them. This new Eaton is just reminding me how good a smoker a cob can be and I was wondering if there was anything to do to prolong the life.
As you point out, they are cheap so I’ll just keep puffing away, looking like Popeye and buy a new one when I bite through this stem.
??

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Yes, I bought it because I have just bought some different twists and wanted to have a “disposable” pipe to try them out in before dedicating a pipe to them - trouble is, I really like the cob now because it’s light and it smokes beautifully!

I’ve had a couple of the larger sized MM cobs but I bit though the orange stems years ago and never got round to replacing them. This new Eaton is just reminding me how good a smoker a cob can be and I was wondering if there was anything to do to prolong the life.
As you point out, they are cheap so I’ll just keep puffing away, looking like Popeye and buy a new one when I bite through this stem.
??
Replacement stems are available online for less than a dollar.??

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I have a natural MM cob freehand. and I really enjoy the scratchy feel. It's a nice variation in texture, and it certainly is easy to hang onto. I like the smooth finished cobs too. Variety pleases me.
The perfectionist in me was saying “this isn’t perfect, I must rectify this situation!?!?!” But the lazy arse in me was saying “ah, just roll with it; your hand will knock the stray bits off soon enough.”
I think I am going to follow the lazy arse on this one @mso489 ?
It’s a good smoker - cool and smooth as a pair of velvet knickers, which helps because the Brown Bogie I had in it earlier nearly blew my head off!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Replacement stems are available online for less than a dollar.??
I know @canucklehead, I’ve just never got round to ordering any replacements as yet. One of the lads who works at my local pub was asking about how to get into pipes which gave me the opportunity to buy a couple of small MM cobs; one for him, one for me. It also gave me the opportunity to get some twists in as well and Chuck them at the cob.
I went for a walk through a bluebell wood today and that little cob, with probably the smallest bowl I’ve got of any of my pipes, kept some Brown Bogie going for nearly an hour; it just reminded me of how good a cob can be.

Don’t worry: no barmen were hurt, I gave him some Three Nuns, Capstan blue RE and some St Bruno RR for him to try - I think if my first pipe had been Black Irish Twist it would have put me off the pipe for life! ??

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
You can if you want make your own filler coating which is the same substance I used to fill the bottom of my cobs, basically a type of pipe mud, but it’s black or charcoal grey, I got this recipe off you tube and seems to be work quite well, 2 parts plaster of Paris to 1 part activated charcoal and 1 part table salt. Mix it up with a little water into a paste if you want to use it as a mortar for the bottom of the bowl or a little more water if you want to paint it on or use it as a bowl liner for other pipes. The salt helps the substance harden and also gives a nice crystalline glint in the right light. I made it very thin and painted it on the outside of a Morgan natural. Came out quite nicely. I don’t have a pic of it but it hardens very nicely and does not rub off easily

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

??
Cobs aren't available here in Australia. Ordering them from the U.S. the postage is not cheap.
But regardless of cost, they're good smokers. I really like my cobs and treat them with the same care as a briar.

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
The naturals definitely smoke a little better . They seem to breathe easier. but i like the stained plaster versions as well or my own custom finishes(usually some form of alcohol based dye or a mix or activated charcoal and plaster of paris and salt which gives a deep carbon fibre(ish) look, ill try post a pic of one) which are nice to add. and if you mess it up its not like ruining a 300 dollar briar lol :LOL: , and yes i care for my little cobs with the same care as the briars. possibly a little more so as they are more prone to loose shanks and bowl bottom burnouts, if they have the cheap putty in place. if they do i replace the putty with a carved piece of briar from the scraps i have around from my other pipe projects. my ONLY criticism for them really is the cheap plastic stems, i know you can get decent acrylics. but not that easy to find in the UK