PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
For my fellow Pete Geek's...
[Excerpt from Mark Irwin's Peterson Pipe Notes Blog]

Are you interested in a Peterson Pipe Notes commemorative CPG System?

As you probably know, K&P makes yearly and sometimes twice-yearly pipes for the PSOI group, and as several CPGs have asked about the feasibility of such a pipe for our group, we need to take a headcount, as numbers are crucial for a special order like this. I don’t details yet, just a few preferences from my end.

The CPG will be a System P-Lip, sandblast (not black), stamped “CPG” and be of a medium chamber size to maximize everyone’s interest. The quality should be in the mid to upper-range, with a sterling band and aluminum tenon extension. The price I hoping for would be between $150 to $200 US and ship from SPC or SPEu, depending on your location.

More information will be forthcoming if there is sufficient response to justify asking K&P to work up a quote. I think the minimum number of pipes they will consider is around 50, but I’m actually not sure. Send an email to petegeek1896@gmail.com before May 1st if this is something you’d like to add to your rotation.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Does anyone know what this is?

View attachment 142285View attachment 142281View attachment 142277

I bought it off of eBay years ago as a "Peterson meerschaum" and it does seem to fit that description..... I have not smoked it yet, because I would really like to get a new stem made for it (old on has the p-lip cut off to just a hole in the end).

Can any of yall verify that peterson made meers? reccomnd someone to fit a replacement stem? I sure would like to get this thing back into action!
Yes. It’s a meer, probably from the 70s. You should be able to get an exact date from the hallmark on the silver shank cap. The style of scalloped rustication is called the Aboriginal finish. Not sure about the coloration. The ones I have seen have all been mottled white, or very rarely black. You could have Peterson make a new stem. I have the same pipe in whites from 1973.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Yes. It’s a meer, probably from the 70s. You should be able to get an exact date from the hallmark on the silver shank cap. The style of scalloped rustication is called the Aboriginal finish. Not sure about the coloration. The ones I have seen have all been mottled white, or very rarely black. You could have Peterson make a new stem. I have the same pipe in whites from 1973.
Awesome! thank you so much! looks like the hallmarks say 1971, and I will contact Peterson for a new stem!

As for color, it looks to have black paint down in the scallops, but that could just be grime.... some is flaking off, but I have not tried to pick it off..... I thought all Meers were white/yellowish so as to show the color they acquire and that this one had just been smoked a TON, very interesting to think it may have been painted black, and handled a LOT! I have purposely not handled the pipe much as I did not want to mess up the meerschaum.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Awesome! thank you so much! looks like the hallmarks say 1971, and I will contact Peterson for a new stem!

As for color, it looks to have black paint down in the scallops, but that could just be grime.... some is flaking off, but I have not tried to pick it off..... I thought all Meers were white/yellowish so as to show the color they acquire and that this one had just been smoked a TON, very interesting to think it may have been painted black, and handled a LOT! I have purposely not handled the pipe much as I did not want to mess up the meerschaum.
It may very well have been smoked a ton. I’ll leave the meer experts to evaluate but that’s the most likely explanation. The raised portions have less color because of wear and the thicker meer in this spots would be my guess. Here’s mine - ignore the other two.

74DCA4AD-B1C8-4621-B68D-04E3F1D2CF40.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Received a beautiful rusticated 106 billiard from Eddie Gray in the mail today.

The "Phoenix" line is a specially commissioned small run of six shapes exclusive to The Pipe Nook. The pictures don't do it justice. Thanks Eddie!

View attachment 141060
View attachment 141061View attachment 141062View attachment 141063

Now excuse me while I go break this thing in. puffy
Your Phoenix 106 looks great. I ordered a 221 today. Looking forward to receiving it. It'll be my 7th Pete.

1651095019917.png

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
For my fellow Pete Geek's...
[Excerpt from Mark Irwin's Peterson Pipe Notes Blog]

Are you interested in a Peterson Pipe Notes commemorative CPG System?

As you probably know, K&P makes yearly and sometimes twice-yearly pipes for the PSOI group, and as several CPGs have asked about the feasibility of such a pipe for our group, we need to take a headcount, as numbers are crucial for a special order like this. I don’t details yet, just a few preferences from my end.

The CPG will be a System P-Lip, sandblast (not black), stamped “CPG” and be of a medium chamber size to maximize everyone’s interest. The quality should be in the mid to upper-range, with a sterling band and aluminum tenon extension. The price I hoping for would be between $150 to $200 US and ship from SPC or SPEu, depending on your location.

More information will be forthcoming if there is sufficient response to justify asking K&P to work up a quote. I think the minimum number of pipes they will consider is around 50, but I’m actually not sure. Send an email to petegeek1896@gmail.com before May 1st if this is something you’d like to add to your rotation.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CPG?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Your Phoenix 106 looks great. I ordered a 221 today. Looking forward to receiving it. It'll be my 7th Pete.

View attachment 142331
I am still so close to pulling the trigger on a 221, but . . . I had planned to wait on any new Peterson for a bit. Then I noticed a chimney I'd been eyeing at James J. Fox for a long time became even more discounted and I bit. So, picked up a 2016 POTY stack. It showed up from Dublin in the same time as a SP order in the U.S. I put in the same day!

IMG_2710.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I am still so close to pulling the trigger on a 221, but . . . I had planned to wait on any new Peterson for a bit. Then I noticed a chimney I'd been eyeing at James J. Fox for a long time became even more discounted and I bit. So, picked up a 2016 POTY stack. It showed up from Dublin in the same time as a SP order in the U.S. I put in the same day!

View attachment 142679
Very nice.
I ordered a Chacom Renard 185, Edition 1 (only available from Fox) a couple of years ago and I received it in about 7 days. I would definitely order from James J. Fox again.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018

View attachment 142679
My Peterson Phoenix 221 arrived this morning. I like it...a lot.
20220430_095722.jpg

This is my first purchase from The Pipe Nook. I'm impressed with Eddie Gray's customer service. Well packaged, handwritten thank you note, a Pipe Nook sticker, box of matches and I received the pipe in 3 days. I definitely would order from The Pipe Nook again.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
View attachment 142813

This is my first purchase from The Pipe Nook. I'm impressed with Eddie Gray's customer service. Well packaged, handwritten thank you note, a Pipe Nook sticker, box of matches and I received the pipe in 3 days. I definitely would order from The Pipe Nook again.
Ordering my Phoenix wad also my first experience with the Pipe Nook. I had many of the same feelings about Eddie and his customer service.

How about that pipe? Seriously, pictures don't do it justice...am I right?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
View attachment 142813

Just saw this and . . . he's got one less 221 than he had five minutes ago! Thanks, you enablers!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
230? If that’s too small for you check out the 221.
It's 12.5. I love the chamber size but I thought there would be a little more wood around it. It seems perfect though, exactly what I need.
Lestrade was a little bigger than expected instead, I'd known all the measurements but I was suprised at the massive chunk of briar when I saw it.
All in all Peterson is a great name with great pipes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Very nice.
I ordered a Chacom Renard 185, Edition 1 (only available from Fox) a couple of years ago and I received it in about 7 days. I would definitely order from James J. Fox again.
Ordered from Fox once-a rusticated 2015 Founder's edition Pete Hungarian which I had longingly looked at on the site for weeks before pulling the trigger. Came quickly. However, since then my bank throws a tizzy anytime I try to buy something from overseas-as in freezing my debit card.