Smoking Jacket

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Every time I see a smoking jacket, I look at the tag to see what it is made of. 9 out of 10 I have seen was made of rayon, acetate and triacetate. Remember all of those children's Halloween costumes of the 60's and 70's... that when they get hot, they shrink to the child's skin and burn like napalm. I just wouldn't wear something like that to actually smoke in. Most seem designed to just look like a smoking jacket, like a cheap Halloween costume.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I seem to remember a thread a couple of months ago that followed the same discussion or line of thought. I read the whole thing just for the sheer entertainment! This one has not disappointing me.
I usually smoke outside or in my garage. Depending on the weather and the outside temperature I dress accordingly. The jackets that I wear when I smoke are typically the same clothes I wear to work in the yard.
So I guess I have a Carhart smoking jacket and if warmer the vest!
And my trusty hat.
E13D3251-830D-4FC0-B7BC-56E60EABBDD1.jpeg460D23EC-93FB-416D-92E7-EE593A9DE583.jpeg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most seem designed to just look like a smoking jacket, like a cheap Halloween costume.
Absofreakinglutely! They are simply for those wanting to project an image. A silk smoking jacket can be almost a work of art in some cases, practical and warm. And, as few others would see them, a strictly personal choice slowly gaining character as the burn holes holes multiply and the coat becomes a shabby looking, comfortable piece of practical attire.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The original idea of a gentleman's smoking jacket was to cover ones clothes with a garment of heavy material, such as velvet or heavy silk, in an attempt to keep smoke odors out of the clothes. I don't believe it was ever very successful at that, so the use of smoking jackets simply became the fashion.
In my case, since I only smoke outside, I use my old mouth eaten high school letter sweater in cool weather. In warm weather, I simply don't worry about it.
I've heard that they do actually work. Heard that from a chap who bought one cause he thought they looked swell and found that it really did absorb enough of the smell to contain it. That was when he looked up if that was thee intention.

Reactions: JOHN72

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
After reading this thread about whingeing bossy wives who banish their other halves into the garage or the cold outdoors in winter or in the summer heat to be feasted on by mosquitos just to enjoy a bowl of baccy, it reminds me how blessed I am to be blissfully single.
z-free i'm finally free meme.jpg

z-laugh out loud.jpg

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
that is one stunning pizza oven.
Thank you! It’s a Mugnaini Oven.

I always wanted a pizza oven. We built this after I retired. It’s amazing how fast it cooks a pizza. It also works as a normal oven and we’ve baked many different meals in it.
Have a blessed day!