PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Savinelli Siena line is 9mm and I second the Peterson Dublin Filter recommendation. I'm not super keen on the Vauen shape chart, so I have no experience with them.
I kind about the sad. I have to admit I love vauen but some of their shapes are not my taste at all. I like their classic shapes and when they get creative it leaves me cold. But I honestly feel like my Vauen is probably the most bang for the buck among my pipes. I have found the fills on it for example but they still don't stand out. It smokes great. Looks great. (mine is a bent brandy with the best finish ever, it is very light reactive. In dim light it looks like a dress pipe in medium it has a sorta dark blueish hue and in direct strong light it's greyish and the grain really shows well then.) All that to say I picked a sad reaction just cause I love my Vauen so I chose to over react.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
Vauen and Savinelli make excellent filter pipes. One of my favorite pipes to smoke(mostly non filtered) is a Savinelli Punto Oro with 6mm balsa filter. I feel the balsa soaks up moisture well and allows a much clearer drag than I get with 9mm filters. My fav 9mm filter pipe is also a Savinelli although my Vauen Churchwarden(3642) is a mighty fine smoker.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Vauen and Savinelli make excellent filter pipes. One of my favorite pipes to smoke(mostly non filtered) is a Savinelli Punto Oro with 6mm balsa filter. I feel the balsa soaks up moisture well and allows a much clearer drag than I get with 9mm filters. My fav 9mm filter pipe is also a Savinelli although my Vauen Churchwarden(3642) is a mighty fine smoker.
Check out nearest hobby shop for balsa, found they have triangle shaped sticks in both sizes 36 inches long that can be easily cut to fit.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Liebaart

Lurker
Mar 24, 2022
The French Chacom brand also makes excellent 9 mm pipes. I own a few of them. Recommended.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
The only pipes with 9MM I have got are Vauens,Stanwells,Jobey,Lorenzetti,Peterson Rosslare irish and Damiano Rovera(Ardor)..I like the taste of some tobaccos through the filter and some I like raw tasting...It depends...9MM pipe is not a deal breaker for me if I really like a pipe but trying to buy ones without it.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'll second the SP EU suggestion. Great selection, good prices, and inexpensive shipping to boot. I have two pipes coming from them right now, both 9mm. The first is an Irish Seconds (Peterson), and the second is the new Rattray's Ahoy. Previously I've got a 9mm Derry from them (gorgeous pipe), and a buddy ordered a 9mm Sav. Both held filters perfectly snug.

Pipenook has some exclusive 9mm Peterson's that I keep hearing rage reviews about. Then tobacco-pipes has a decent selection of 9mm pipes. I also have a new Barling coming from them, which is a 9mm filter pipe.

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
This has been a problem for me as well. I've found that too long of a chamber lets too much smoke around and too loose as well. I get problems pretty quickly if I have any unfiltered smoke so this is a very good question for me also.

A couple large Vauen pipes with a white dot bought off of ebay have way too loose of a chamber. Most of their models must be really good, cause a lot of people are recommending Vauen.

My 3 Petersons have filter chambers with a much tighter fit and are my favorites.

My brebbia has perfect fit.

My 2 Rattray's are all also good.

My 3 Sav's are a bit looser fitting but acceptable.

Those are just the big names I have experience with, and this is a topic I'm interested in, because with my current budget a cheap option would be nice.

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
My Jobey Filtersmoke I got from Iwan Ries 10 years ago is the 9mm filtered pipe I reach for the most to this very day

Its not the most fancy in my collection but it smokes perfectly- and thats what really matters and makes me regularly reach for it

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My new Barontini 1/2 spigot pipe with 9mm filter (20mmx52mm chamber) is the best smoking pipe i have now; everytime perfect. My new Vauen Olaf bent egg 9mm sandblasted (20mmx45mm chamber) is my current workhorse pipe ... both have large deep bowls and smoke well. Although i do notice some petroleum flavor from the Dr. Perl filters at first.
My other filter pipes are 6mm : Savinelli 2614KS (20x42 chamber) , MM Mark Twin Cob (20x40 chamber), Savinelli Erica FIamma 128 Billiard (17.5x38.5 chamber) . Savinelli charcoal filters.

I always recommend Barontini but would now add a well made Vauen to recommendation.

Jul 8, 2022
North Vancouver
Who make good quality 9mm filter pipes. 9mm filter pipes are my preferred pipe but was well all know, all pipes are not created equal and filter pipes are no different. What I have noticed with filter pipes specifically is that the chamber that the hold the filer is different sizes among different pipes. It should be a “tight fit” so that the smoke goes through the filter and not around. Anyone else experience this and have you found a dependable manufacturer? I have not had any of these issues with Vauen so far but I am looking for a little variety. Thanks in advance.
Blitz system from Germany, but you can get them anywhere.

Morsoth

Lurker
Feb 27, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
I only have four 9mm filter pipes (Peterson Army Sandblasted 106, Rattray Black Sheep 105, Vauen Auenland Almar Sandblasted, and a Ukrainian Pearwood Churchwarden). I don't always use a filter in them, but when I do, I use the Peterson filters. I might try the Vauen or Savinelli filters soon!

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
The best pipes I have are 9mm Vauen ones, with which I am so happy I am not really sure if I want to try another pipe maker at this point. That said, I do have a Savinelli Dante which is 9mm, and is pretty good, and also had a Chacom Atlas Marble which was a great smoker, but burnt out and always smoked hot no matter what I did, and I've seen others mention a similar issue with them, so I am hesitate to recommend trying one.