Jim's Watch City Simply Orange Virginia Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It's due to come out in mid-May.

Full disclosure: I had an advisory hand in this blend. Several grades of fermented light to darker orange Virginias produce a wealth of zesty, tingly tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, some tangy darker fruit, earth, wood, mild floralness, grass, spice, and light sour lemon with a touch of acidity and a small hint of wine-like vinegar. That last aspect comes from the processing of the tobacco as there is no topping on this product. Has an attractive little sparkle note, too. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste is a tad more potent, but doesn’t quite meet the medium threshold. It won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few minute rough notes. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Has a short lived pleasant after taste, and room note. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. An all day smoke that should age exceptionally well. Four stars out of four.

Jim did you happen to use the Honeybell Orange that are ripe in Dec-Feb? Or did you go for the blood oranges that are in season now along with Valencias?
I am interested in what orange you used. Could be an interesting experiment.

He said that there was no topping in this, orange refers to the color of the Virginias, like reds or yellows.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
It's due to come out in mid-May.

Full disclosure: I had an advisory hand in this blend. Several grades of fermented light to darker orange Virginias produce a wealth of zesty, tingly tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, some tangy darker fruit, earth, wood, mild floralness, grass, spice, and light sour lemon with a touch of acidity and a small hint of wine-like vinegar. That last aspect comes from the processing of the tobacco as there is no topping on this product. Has an attractive little sparkle note, too. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste is a tad more potent, but doesn’t quite meet the medium threshold. It won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few minute rough notes. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Has a short lived pleasant after taste, and room note. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. An all day smoke that should age exceptionally well. Four stars out of four.
That you had a hand in the blend is not a disclosure, it is a mark of quality. I’m definitely gonna get some.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Are you referring to a sparkle/tingle sensation like a sparkling wine, or something different? Thanks
The sparkle comes from the tart and tangy citrus and a touch of acidity. While that normally indicates the tobacco requires a little age time - and this blend will benefit from age as straight Virginia blends do - I find it an attractive quality in this particular case.

Your analogy to sparkling wine is rather close to what I had in mind. That's an excellent thought you had.