PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
As a very new pipe smoker (about two months now), I'm still developing my palate and sampling a bunch of tobaccos to figure out what I like. So far, I've only smoked aromatics and have found a few nice ones that agree with me. What I haven't been able to figure out is what Virginia tobacco tastes like. Are there any Virginia blends you folks could recommend that would provide that classic or archetypal taste for a beginner like me? I'm just trying to get a sense of what people mean when they say they can taste Virginia tobacco in a blend. Thanks in advance!

I too am new and trying to figure out flavors. I had basically no idea with my first few orders, but I did manage to purchase a pure Virginia, Sutliff Sweet Virginia #707 by accident, which has helped me a little.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
The flavors of Virginias are very subtle, like flavors of tea... very subtle, and requires you to smoke very slowly to get the most flavor. I suggest trying a ribbon first, and save flakes for later. Maybe, Astley's: No. 55, or F&T Blackjack
Also, maybe avoid VaPers till you get the actual flavors of Virginias down.

The reason for slowing down is that the flavors come from the oils being driven off of the tobacco surrounding the cherry burning in the chamber. The slower you go, the slower the cherry can push off those oils into the smoke for you to savor. YMMV
Yes. I’m seeing that to be true. Also I find that the bottom third is much more flavorful, especially if I’ve let the pipe sit and cool. I sense that I’m getting all of those oils you mention.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I stay away from the Virginia's that read like cow feed, you know hay/grass/barnyard (they're ok for a change of pace now and then) and focus on the the red Virginia/stoved Virginia's. I like bread/yeast/dark fruit/baked goods/sweet and sour, so..........
Union Square
Stokkebey's Cube Cut (some burley here too)
Sutliff Crumble Cake
Sutliff 515 (YMMV on this one but I love it and ages sublimely)
Anthology 2023 (Whilst its still available)
Rattray's Red Rapparee (has orientals as well)
Wessex Red Virginia Flake
the list goes on.................

Reactions: LudwigB88
I stay away from the Virginia's that read like cow feed, you know hay/grass/barnyard (they're ok for a change of pace now and then) and focus on the the red Virginia/stoved Virginia's. I like bread/yeast/dark fruit/baked goods/sweet and sour, so..........
Union Square
Stokkebey's Cube Cut (some burley here too)
Sutliff Crumble Cake
Sutliff 515 (YMMV on this one but I love it and ages sublimely)
Anthology 2023 (Whilst its still available)
Rattray's Red Rapparee (has orientals as well)
Wessex Red Virginia Flake
the list goes on.................
Try C&D's Bluegrass. It seems to be right in the descriptors you listed. I'm smoking from a tin of it right now. Good stuff

Reactions: VDL_Piper