PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes… known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.” - James Madison

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
61395C3C-2795-4DF5-9561-3B81832473DF.jpeg“I tell you, if one wants to be active, one mustn’t be afraid to do something wrong sometimes, not afraid to lapse into some mistakes. To be good — many people think that they’ll achieve it by doing no harm — and that’s a lie, and you said yourself in the past that it was a lie. That leads to stagnation, to mediocrity…

You don’t know how paralyzing it is, that stare from a blank canvas that says to the painter, “You can’t do anything.” The canvas has an idiotic stare, and mesmerizes some painters so that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the truly passionate painter who dares — and who has once broken the spell of “You can’t.”

Life itself likewise always turns towards one an infinitely meaningless, discouraging, dispiriting blank side on which there is nothing, any more than on a blank canvas. But however meaningless and vain, however dead life appears, the man of faith, of energy, of warmth, and who knows something, doesn’t let himself be fobbed off like that. He steps in and does something…”

~ Vincent van Gogh

@JimInks @sablebrush52

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
View attachment 137302“I tell you, if one wants to be active, one mustn’t be afraid to do something wrong sometimes, not afraid to lapse into some mistakes. To be good — many people think that they’ll achieve it by doing no harm — and that’s a lie, and you said yourself in the past that it was a lie. That leads to stagnation, to mediocrity…

You don’t know how paralyzing it is, that stare from a blank canvas that says to the painter, “You can’t do anything.” The canvas has an idiotic stare, and mesmerizes some painters so that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the truly passionate painter who dares — and who has once broken the spell of “You can’t.”

Life itself likewise always turns towards one an infinitely meaningless, discouraging, dispiriting blank side on which there is nothing, any more than on a blank canvas. But however meaningless and vain, however dead life appears, the man of faith, of energy, of warmth, and who knows something, doesn’t let himself be fobbed off like that. He steps in and does something…”

~ Vincent van Gogh

@JimInks @sablebrush52
I've known a couple of artists who were greatly terrified of a blank page. I've never had that problem. Jack Kirby once told me "Never be afraid of a blank page. Just start drawing and your imagination will kick in."

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I don't draw nearly as much as I use to, but sometimes when you have all that pent-up creative energy...the canvas will call to you (no matter what that canvas is made of). Even if you recreate someone else's work... you gotta let it out. Alcohol helps to calm the chatter and KIMG0925.JPGnegativity of the mind, at least in my case?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I've known a couple of artists who were greatly terrified of a blank page. I've never had that problem. Jack Kirby once told me "Never be afraid of a blank page. Just start drawing and your imagination will kick in."
When I read this quote, I figured it would resonate with you. Having the talent is a gift, having the nerve to bring that talent forth is an act of willpower. Thank God for the talented and courageous.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
On business ownership:

“Success depends on many things. But, a belief in yourself, coupled to a willingness to bust your ass and you might, possibly, achieve. Succeed or not, you'll learn a lot about yourself. But, you better brutally question reality of your undertaking before the mortgaging your future.”
~ @warren