PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Easy-to-find blends that are extra robust include C&D Stratfordshire, Tuggle Hall, Big'n'Burley, Dark Burley, and Bayou Night, for starters anyway. Old Joe Krantz original and Billy Budd are also quite substantial. GH strong blends include brown rope, the only slightly milder black rope, and if it ever appears on the market again, the Indonesian air cured burley Tambolaka. Tabac-Manil Semois thick and medium cut are fulsome single leaf Belgium variants for people with a taste for stronger burley. For a while, only the stronger blends would do for me, but now I enjoy a whole range, even to the very mild, so when I go back to the stronger blends, I get the full effect. I don't smoke 'em for the nicotine but for the flavor. When I skip smoking for a few days, I don't have cravings. I think my nicotine receptors aren't all that responsive. On a rare occasion or two, I've gotten light headed, but I wouldn't place any bets on myself with really strong leaf.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I'm half way through a bowl of JKP right now and its about ready to knock me on my ass. I love how it smokes and it doesn't get harsh like some high nic blends. I'd chew the thing if it didn't cost $12 a tin.
No doubt. It's best smoked on an empty stomach

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thank you all for the recommendations!
Smoking pipe strictly for flavor relaxation is my end goal.
Cigarettes are a hard one to quit, and I firmly believe there is something more than nicotine in them. ?
Ya, about a gillion chemicals unless you smoke American Spirits. Pipe smoking is so much more relaxing, so much more enjoyable, and so much more fun!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
American Spirits

Pipe smoking is so much more relaxing, so much more enjoyable, and so much more fun!
For some its a hobby, for others it's just smoking. I smoke a pipe for convenience when I can't have free hands for a cigarette or chewing isn't am option.

Thank you all for the recommendations!
Smoking pipe strictly for flavor relaxation is my end goal.
Cigarettes are a hard one to quit, and I firmly believe there is something more than nicotine in them. ?
Coming from cigarettes, there's not a pipe tobacco made to come close to that nicotine content. You just have to make the transition from one to the other. Old Dark Fired is enjoyable if you want full body and flavor though.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
American Spirit cigarettes are made with nothing but tobacco treated with water. The organic variety, which there are only two of, use organically grown tobacco with no pesticides or insecticides. I know this because I have a good friend in Santa Fe who was an executive for American Spirits and I quizzed him on this. I might add that when I switched from a normal brand to AS my cough disappeared and when I switched form normal AS to the organic ones my nightly wheezing disappeared. They are more expensive, and not very flavorful, but if you must smoke cigs, I highly recommend them.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Likely legally bound to those answers after the FDA forced them to remove the terms "additive free" and "natural" from their packaging.
Likely not, he's a good friend and he retired two years ago, he would have told me otherwise. It was simpler and less risk aversive to simply state the ingredients... tobacco and water. The additive free and natural didn't reflect the tobacco growing techniques, except the two organic varieties.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Hello and good morning.
I’m looking for pipe tobacco recommendations, what I’m hunting for is something very robust and high in nicotine. Non-aromatic.
any suggestions? Thanks!
Macbaren Old Dark Fired knocked me off my socks, others consider that a all day or multiple smoke per day tobacco. What I'm saying with this is, what's your tolerance? I think the dark fired Kentucky is a bit to potent for me, last 1/3 or 1/4 off the bowl it hits me very sudden.

Macbaren Rustica I didn't see I then list yet, seems hard to get in the USA if I remember correctly, ordering at Estervals in Germany has plenty in stock.