PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I own at least one tin of each year in the collection , the first year is nearly impossible to find. I have tried all the vintages 2000 and beyond …. For some reason the 2003 is my favorite . you aren’t really missing anything, but not knowing what your missing , but then again for $100 little dollars you can buy a 20 yr old aged tin and see for yourself . I so go for it and buy one

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Some folks out there claim that 40th is the best Red Virginias ever put in a tin. ☕

Some folks think tomato is a vegetable. McClelland made a lot of really good reds, including the McCranie's stuff, which is vastly better than the 40th. Vastly. Even the red in "Red and Black" has a lot more flavor imho. I thought the 40th Anniversary red was pretty mediocre (for McClelland). I just found the 40th to have none of the sweetness or piquancy that the McCranie's Red Flakes had over the years. Pretty flat and uninspiring stuff. Is there currently anything "better" on the market? Probably not, but that maybe speaks to part of the problem - the supply end of things wasn't getting better for any of these blenders as time went on. But I'd challenge anyone who has 40th anniversary on a pedestal to smoke it against, say, the Sutliff bulk red virginia. I think they are of comparable quality in the pipe.

Reactions: strave19 and mingc
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Some folks think tomato is a vegetable. McClelland made a lot of really good reds, including the McCranie's stuff, which is vastly better than the 40th. Vastly. Even the red in "Red and Black" has a lot more flavor imho. I thought the 40th Anniversary red was pretty mediocre (for McClelland). I just found the 40th to have none of the sweetness or piquancy that the McCranie's Red Flakes had over the years. Pretty flat and uninspiring stuff. Is there currently anything "better" on the market? Probably not, but that maybe speaks to part of the problem - the supply end of things wasn't getting better for any of these blenders as time went on. But I'd challenge anyone who has 40th anniversary on a pedestal to smoke it against, say, the Sutliff bulk red virginia. I think they are of comparable quality in the pipe.
Yes, Red & Black was super. I’d have to agree with you in regard to McCranies. The Red Flakes were delicious. And, I’m still dipping into a jar of First Light…pretty good indeed on its own. The 40th for me was also good, with the potential for greatness. As for Sutliff bulk red Virginias…never had it unless it was included in another Blend I’m unaware of. ☕

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I own at least one tin of each year in the collection , the first year is nearly impossible to find. I have tried all the vintages 2000 and beyond …. For some reason the 2003 is my favorite . you aren’t really missing anything, but not knowing what your missing , but then again for $100 little dollars you can buy a 20 yr old aged tin and see for yourself . I so go for it and buy one
You're the fourth person I have heard who like the 2003 CC best. I can't say I have a favorite, but that is a very good one.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
As much as I love their straight reds, none of them will kick this gem out of my top spot.

View attachment 121440

??????? Reading the tobacco contents seems straight up my alley. Normally i'm not sad I can't taste tobacco no longer produced, but this one and Yenidje Supreme is something I would really like to try. I've never seen Maryland tobacco in a blend, seems a interesting condiment tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
??????? Reading the tobacco contents seems straight up my alley. Normally i'm not sad I can't taste tobacco no longer produced, but this one and Yenidje Supreme is something I would really like to try. I've never seen Maryland tobacco in a blend, seems a interesting condiment tobacco.
Maryland adds a sweetness and softens the sharpness of a blend. YH's stars are the Virginias and the Yenidje. The Syrian latakia is thankfully very far in the background and only makes its presence known if you are really trying to find it.