Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I find it curious that you paint modern people with such a broad brush, Mr modern Telescope. puffy
My data reference point are the data responses to this thread... Most would simply want to be ignorant of what was going to happen and go about their lives not knowing. You don't find that interesting.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yes, I'd want to know because I would want to spend whatever time was left with my family...wife, kids, grandsons. I would like to have some control of where we will be when it all ends.

If I didn't know, with my luck, I'd be in a long ass line at the DMV or the self check out at Walmart.

My data reference point are the data responses to this thread... Most would simply want to be ignorant of what was going to happen and go about their lives not knowing. You don't find that interesting.
Well, lets say we know, and ypu want to drive from California to the Briar Lee country. As soon as it’s announced, who is going to go to work? Gasoline is free, but runs out fast. No electricity. No cops. Anarchy reigns within hours. Trying to drive across country is a death march. People drunk and stoned just killing for fun, because they’ve always wanted to. Rape, because they’ve always wanted to. You wouldn’t make it anywhere. And, most humans wouldn’t make it to the apocalypse alive. Terror reigns, making the past days a living nightmare.
So….

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Well, lets say we know, and ypu want to drive from California to the Briar Lee country. As soon as it’s announced, who is going to go to work? Gasoline is free, but runs out fast. No electricity. No cops. Anarchy reigns within hours. Trying to drive across country is a death march. People drunk and stoned just killing for fun, because they’ve always wanted to. Rape, because they’ve always wanted to. You wouldn’t make it anywhere. And, most humans wouldn’t make it to the apocalypse alive. Terror reigns, making the past days a living nightmare.
So….
So... I don't accept propositions as absolutes. I live exactly four miles from dead center of the part of the of San Andreas that has not ruptured for near about 400 years. It is due. My home will survive but FEMA states we will be the last to receive aid. It may take up to three months to restore power. Highway 10 and 86 will be gone. Highway 74 gone. So will 62. The nearest town is Blythe and it is 70 miles through the desert using the old stage coach gravel and dirt paths. 250,000 people will be trapped in the desert of the Coachella Valley. Chaos and anarchy are a given. And yet, I am prepared to leave and have the means to move through the desert unseen and prepared. It isn't a probability. It is a certainty. So.... while most people will accept their fate when the big one happens, I have a plan...

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Don’t want to know. When I go, I go. No sense me being super anxious bout all the stuff I ought to have done & didn’t. The issue with that is very few of us die in bed whilst sleeping. I’ll probably be on the ? or something when an ☄️ hits…that’ll be fine as it’s the only peaceful place, other than my garage,
to hide from the wife & kids. ?☕

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I find it curious that the response of modern people to the question of fate is to capitulate so easily.
This answer is about Perspective. I haven’t seen the ?. However, if the world was coming to an end. It’d be so much better for the masses to be unaware as to not cause pure anarchy & destruction.
Additionally, if your not doing what you want right now, then shame on you. It shouldn’t take an act of god to propel you into living your dream. My dream is being fulfilled everyday…I’m taking care of sick folks, raising lovable ? s, and loving my best friend…how could it be better? I am where I need to be. This to me is not giving up…it’s giving in to the good life. ?‍♂️☕

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
As I was driving around strip mall suburban hell this afternoon, I thought about this some more...

My own death, I think it would be best if I had no idea. Just a quick bundling off into eternity, to quote Herman Melville.

The end of the world, though, is much different. It's not just you, it's everyone. You're not leaving anyone behind or leaving business undone. It's just kablooey it's all gone. In that case, I wouldn't mind knowing.

But...I wouldn't want a countdown clock, like in the movie. I'd want a general idea, sure, but the thought of watching a countdown, like on New year's Eve just sends chills up my spine. Thats what would cause panic, I think. Here it comes!!

Either way, I'd like to spend it with the people I love, in a quiet and beautiful place. Until the sky explodes in fire and we're all vaporized in an instant, or whatever.