PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
After watching the movie, Don't Look Up, which was fantastic, disturbing, and very entertaining... I realized that if the end of the world was coming, I'd just rather not know. Just yank me to infinity as I am brushing my teeth or driving home or tamping my pipe. I live as if each minute will be the last anyways. I have no unresolved issues.

What about you? Even if you haven't watched it... Would you want to know, or just surprise you?
My thoughts are that I've had a great life, done and seen things that most haven't had the opportunity to do and I'm ready anytime the Good Lord is ready to call me home.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would certainly want to know. For instance it would suck to go to work and then not even get that pay check because it's after the end date. Also there are a lot of things people don't do because of the long term. well if there isn't a long term for instance there is no point in wearing a rain coat in the shower ;). Doesn't matter if the shower gives you an itch or gets "clogged" (?).

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It would make no difference to me whether the "authorities" announced it to the public or not...because if they did, I would just assume they were lying and carry on as usual.

If it turned out to be true then it would have to be the end of the world anyway since "they" were finally being truthful with the public about something significant.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
But would YOU want to know if the world was about to end, or would you just rather get yanked off the planet by surprise?

Yes I would and in this case, I think you mean "would you rather just get squished into the surface of the planet by surprise?" Depending on where you are standing when it hits that is. Kind of like to think I'd spend the last few minutes with my friends and family, out on a lawn chair and moments before, I'd stand up with a catchers mitt and say "Cubbies, this is how its done!"

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It would make no difference to me whether the "authorities" announced it to the public or not...because if they did, I would just assume they were lying and carry on as usual.

If it turned out to be true then it would have to be the end of the world anyway since "they" were finally being truthful with the public about something significant.

Have you seen the movie? Cause uh...this kinda happens.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Yeh, I would hope no government would subject us to telling us when or even if the world was about to end. Violence, anarchy, and theft, would just overtake the population. It would be insane. Power would stop and all services, because who would go to work knowing that there's no point in it.
Wait. It's a contemporary documentary?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
wishesraster.jpg

See the reason for the whole movie is to show how humanity and groups have reacted historically and then to show them in a different scenario. The rational, people figured out that there really was a problem when they looked up and saw the comet heading towards Earth. The people who hated science kept telling their followers "Don't Look Up" so that they could provide willfully ignorant opposition to stopping the comet. Each time one of the science haters looked up, they lost a follower.

It was funny, but they walked miles to make a 20 yard point, IMO.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Yes, I would want to know. My father has a bunker in the Ozarks with an unlimited supply of water and a decade's worth of food and medicine. He even has enough toilet paper to use as currency in the aftermath. So, yes, I would want to know. It takes a few days for me to get their from California and I'd like to have a little lead time. He has an endless supply of natural gas as well so power is not a problem. The man built his entire life predicated to surviving. It would be a disappointment to him if I didn't help him put his experiment to the test.

Yes, I would want to know. My father has a bunker in the Ozarks with an unlimited supply of water and a decade's worth of food and medicine. He even has enough toilet paper to use as currency in the aftermath. So, yes, I would want to know. It takes a few days for me to get their from California and I'd like to have a little lead time. He has an endless supply of natural gas as well so power is not a problem. The man built his entire life predicated to surviving. It would be a disappointment to him if I didn't help him put his experiment to the test.
See, the problem with this is that no amount of bunkering down is going to do a damn thing once the atmosphere is removed. It takes thousands of years to rebuild that shit.