PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
As part of learning the characteristics of different blending tobaccos, I decided to try the MB ODF Ready Rubbed.
On the nose, it has a semi-sweet, earthy, clean tobacco profile and maybe just a hint of dried fruit.
I bought this in bulk and put it in a jar as soon as it arrived. The moisture level was perfect for smoking with minimal drying time. Easy to prep and pack.
After the char and lite tamping, it lit right up. First impression was bold earthy, tobacco with some peppery spice. I intentionally worked on smoking this slowly. I can imagine if you tried to smoke this too fast it could get pretty spicy.
Half way thru this small bowl and a few relights, it got mellowed out as the spice gave way to a bold, earthy flavor with subtle hints of Strong coffee and fleeting coco. Definitely a medium-strong Nic hit with this baccy. Smoking slow, sipping your way thru the bowl, is the way to go on this one
On occasion (after a meal) I could see smoking a small bowl of this with some tea. But, more likely, I see myself mixing this with some Latakia, Blk Cav and Izmir Turkish. Might be good mixed with other straight burleys I have on hand?
If you enjoy a BOLD, tobacco forward smoke, give this one a try!
View attachment 120699

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
SORRY- server was spinning and it appeared it did not post. Apologies.
Moderators please remove duplicates.

Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
HH ODF has been a favorite of mine for 10 years or so.

I always bought the 1 lb. boxes. I like to have the option of stuffing flakes if I so desire, and to me, the flake tobacco seems to be richer and fuller. I've got about 15 lbs. stashed away.

By comparision, I'd say HH Bold Kentucky has an edge on it in the bold characterization, but then again everybody has a different taste.

Sillem's Commodore is similar. At least the older stuff. I've read that it's changed recently...

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I didn’t find this bold at all, rather I Found it bland.
For years I smoked mostly aromatics and lite burley blends. I’ve been working on expanding my understanding of the many types of tobaccos and blending components. I’m learning a lot and finding my palate is definitely interested in blends I avoided before. Really have grown to love English and Balkans.
It’s also helping me find ways to repurpose blends that have been sitting in my cellar by amending them with tobacco that rounds out flavors and adds notes that I prefer.
As they say, Smoke what you like in like with your smoke.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I purchased 2 lbs of the RR back in 2017. I’ve smoked about a 1/2 lb in all that time. When I purchased it, I was branching out into Kentucky, occasional GH flake pickups, and Tonquin blends like 1792. They were relatively strong compared to the English, Aromatics, and Virginia/VaPers I had experience with.

Now, RR is a medium smoke for me & one that I very much enjoy from time to time. However, I can’t smoke straight Kentucky for long stints as I lose interest. Still its excellent with a medium roast black ☕️. ?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
This is one of my favorite tobaccos. I cringed when I read about you mixing latakia into it.... :oops:

I think I need some now!

View attachment 120766
Haven’t mixed it up. Just contemplating on how I could combine with other tobacco for a tasty, enjoyable smoke. This is all new to me. I might find one that is really good. I think I’ll try smoke some in a different pipe and see if smokes differently.
DFK is used as a component in some blends?

McConnell: Latakia Flake 50g​

English mixture aren't often pressed and cut into flakes, making McConnel's Latakia Flake a standout pipe tobacco. Showcasing the smoky Oriental leaf, the blend combines Crypriot Latakia with Dark-Fired Kentucky and Black Cavendish for a bold blend to delight Latakia lovers.

Reactions: jaytex1969

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I had the flake version. Love the smell from the tin and the room note when lit, burned very well when dried enough, that BBQish taste is great, but I had 1 problem with it: last 1/3 or 1/4 become so potent I got the hairsweats of it. Although I like a little kick this was for me to much. For all the other factors I want to like and stock it heavily, but that last 1/3 pfew....

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I purchased 2 lbs of the RR back in 2017. I’ve smoked about a 1/2 lb in all that time. When I purchased it, I was branching out into Kentucky, occasional GH flake pickups, and Tonquin blends like 1792. They were relatively strong compared to the English, Aromatics, and Virginia/VaPers I had experience with.

Now, RR is a medium smoke for me & one that I very much enjoy from time to time. However, I can’t smoke straight Kentucky for long stints as I lose interest. Still its excellent with a medium roast black ☕️. ?
Great insight. I remember the first time I tried a peated scotch. I wasn’t “over the moon” about it, but now I thoroughly enjoy a well-made Islay Scotch. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️