PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
As part of learning about the different types of tobacco, I Purchased some blending components.
I just got done smoking a small bowl of the C&D Perique.
The tobacco tin note is very earthy (mushroom?) with a little dried fig.
After the char lite and tamping it down, I started smoking this slow and easy.
Wow, The first thing that hit me was the peppery-spice notes of this tobacco. The first few minutes of smoking this was intense. Besides the peppery notes, I began picking up an amazing creosote and oiled leather type flavor Profile.
The tobacco out of the tin is fairly moist and so I had several relights until I got about half way thru the bowl. On the second or third relight, The creosote profile was not as prevalent. I did start picking up more of the earthy, mushroom type flavors along with the pepper and spice. I’ve read that this tobacco can have some stone fruit or dried fig flavors while smoking- I never picked up any of these.
I’m not sure of the nicotine content of this particular tobacco, but even after a healthy lunch, I got a fairly healthy Nic hit from this small bowl.
It’s smoked cool and burned evenly.
Overall, it was an interesting experiment to say the least. It did help me understand why this tobacco is used as a condiment and flavor enhancing tobacco along with other blending components. I doubt I will smoke this straight again.
I would like to try blending this with some of the Bright and/or Red Virginia’s I have.
I really enjoy English, and Balkan Blends. There are a couple of blends that I have in the cellar that I’m not overly fond of and I sense that it is the amount of Perique that they have? When I smoke these, I usually cut them with some Burley, Blk Cavendish or Turkish tobacco.

I am interested to hear from other forum members on their experience of smoking straight Perique.
BA54CCDF-BAF2-4424-B819-232A103DBC13.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Smoking component tobaccos straight is an excellent method for learning to recognize their roles in making blends.

I've smoked several Periques straight. Not all Perique is the same. A few years ago, Mark Ryan made me a wonderful gift of a selection of periques that he produed at La Poche. The ten year matured Perique I got from Mark could almost be smoked straight were it not for the sour aftertaste, but up to that point it was delicious, heavy with fruit and fig, not as peppery as other Periques he shared with me.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
As part of learning about the different types of tobacco, I Purchased some blending components.
I just got done smoking a small bowl of the C&D Perique.
The tobacco tin note is very earthy (mushroom?) with a little dried fig.
After the char lite and tamping it down, I started smoking this slow and easy.
Wow, The first thing that hit me was the peppery-spice notes of this tobacco. The first few minutes of smoking this was intense. Besides the peppery notes, I began picking up an amazing creosote and oiled leather type flavor Profile.
The tobacco out of the tin is fairly moist and so I had several relights until I got about half way thru the bowl. On the second or third relight, The creosote profile was not as prevalent. I did start picking up more of the earthy, mushroom type flavors along with the pepper and spice. I’ve read that this tobacco can have some stone fruit or dried fig flavors while smoking- I never picked up any of these.
I’m not sure of the nicotine content of this particular tobacco, but even after a healthy lunch, I got a fairly healthy Nic hit from this small bowl.
It’s smoked cool and burned evenly.
Overall, it was an interesting experiment to say the least. It did help me understand why this tobacco is used as a condiment and flavor enhancing tobacco along with other blending components. I doubt I will smoke this straight again.
I would like to try blending this with some of the Bright and/or Red Virginia’s I have.
I really enjoy English, and Balkan Blends. There are a couple of blends that I have in the cellar that I’m not overly fond of and I sense that it is the amount of Perique that they have? When I smoke these, I usually cut them with some Burley, Blk Cavendish or Turkish tobacco.

I am interested to hear from other forum members on their experience of smoking straight Perique.
View attachment 119654
I have not tried this type of experiment yet due to my short # of years in the hobby, but I can see I would enjoy doing some in the future. Thank you for sharing. I don't have any notes to contribute, other than interestingly, I watched this yesterday and was intrigued. You may be also:

Cheers

Try adding some to some burleys and letting it marry for a bit. Lately, I have been enjoying some BurPers by C&D, especially Haunted Bookshop.

I find smoking it straight to be acrid and kinda boring. I had the pleasure back at the New Orleans Pipe Show of spending a day with Mark Ryan at LaPoche. It was a tour and day set up by the organizers. I enjoyed Marks talks about what perique is. The process changes the nicotine molecules into more complex molecules that are no longer nicotine, nor have the same effects. It is a totally new drug, but it seems to enhance the absorption of nicotine from the other leaf it is blended with. See... Virginias are acidic, which means that it is more prone to absorption in the lungs than the small blood vessels of the mouth, so we pipesmokers view Virginias as low nic, but the reality is that Virginias are loaded with nicotine. Blending it with perique makes it more absorbable. Add some to burley, and... wow. It also tends to add some fermentation aspects to the surrounding leaf, which is why VaPers get that "stone fruit" or stewed fruit flavors and aromas. It is not just the perique, but the affect of the perique on the other leaf.
...if that makes sense.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Try adding some to some burleys and letting it marry for a bit. Lately, I have been enjoying some BurPers by C&D, especially Haunted Bookshop.

I find smoking it straight to be acrid and kinda boring. I had the pleasure back at the New Orleans Pipe Show of spending a day with Mark Ryan at LaPoche. It was a tour and day set up by the organizers. I enjoyed Marks talks about what perique is. The process changes the nicotine molecules into more complex molecules that are no longer nicotine, nor have the same effects. It is a totally new drug, but it seems to enhance the absorption of nicotine from the other leaf it is blended with. See... Virginias are acidic, which means that it is more prone to absorption in the lungs than the small blood vessels of the mouth, so we pipesmokers view Virginias as low nic, but the reality is that Virginias are loaded with nicotine. Blending it with perique makes it more absorbable. Add some to burley, and... wow. It also tends to add some fermentation aspects to the surrounding leaf, which is why VaPers get that "stone fruit" or stewed fruit flavors and aromas. It is not just the perique, but the affect of the perique on the other leaf.
...if that makes sense.
BuPers ... hadn't seen that one yet, cool.
I too found I enjoyed Haunted Bookshop.
I'm going to start paying closer attention to the components now that I've started to read info like this.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho

...if that makes sense.
Thank you for your post. Very informative and insightful. I’ll have to do more mixing and smoking ?