Aromatic Blend that has Depth and Complexity.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Andrew Womble

Lurker
Nov 17, 2020
Original title, below, edited for brevity and caps. -jpm

Looking for an aromatic blend that also offers the pipe smoker some depth and complexity.

I don't like to smoke Aromatics on a daily or weekly basis but I do get the craving for a sweet tasting and room pleasing note from time to time. So far, C&D's Autumn evening delivers in both the room note and taste complexity department but surely there are other blends that can deliver. I've tried Lane 1Q and SWR Aromatic which both smell good but don't deliver much in flavor in my opinion. What else is out there that I should try?

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a good run with Sutliff's Queen Anne's Revenge, named for Black Beard the pirate's flagship. It finally became repetitious, but I'd smoke it again. Mixture No. 79 has a nice balance of tobacco and anisette, though it is mild. Granger is rough cut Kentucky burley flavored with molasses and often sold as a non-aromatic. I like Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, though it takes a pouch or two, and maybe some time off, to get the hang of it. And of course the celebrated E.G. Robinson.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
One that reviewers have me leaning toward is Great Outdoors. I believe it’s a take on Field and Steam but not a match. — one reviewer said that Granger is a dead ringer for Great Outdoors, which of course, peaked my interest.

But it’s a vanilla/anise aromatic that lets the nutty burley shine.

Anyone ever smoke Great Outdoors?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
One that reviewers have me leaning toward is Great Outdoors. I believe it’s a take on Field and Steam but not a match. — one reviewer said that Granger is a dead ringer for Great Outdoors, which of course, peaked my interest.

But it’s a vanilla/anise aromatic that lets the nutty burley shine.

Anyone ever smoke Great Outdoors?
I have and liked it. Not enough for regular rotation. I have not smoked Granger so can't comment on similarities. However, great outdoors was certainly pleasant. My reading tells me that it better than the original field & stream but not a direct match. Fairly inexpensive, give it a try.

Reactions: Grangerous

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I'll second that and add Exotic Passion.
Both of those blends fall into the love em or hate em catergory. I don't like either and think Bagpiper is reminiscent of old fashioned hair tonic and that passion is especially cloying. Dan tobacco Devil's Holiday is a better aromatic. Ymmv.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Both of those blends fall into the love em or hate em catergory. I don't like either and think Bagpiper is reminiscent of old fashioned hair tonic and that passion is especially cloying. Dan tobacco Devil's Holiday is a better aromatic. Ymmv.
Haven't tried DH. I'll try to geab some when it becomes available