PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Title edited: caps for important words only. -jpm

My favorite smoke of the day is the first. My palate is fresh, it's been hours since the last bowl, I'm drinking coffee...... everything in place to have an enjoyable smoking experience. For as long as I remember, I mostly start the day with a milder sweet blend and gradually increase in strength as the day progresses. I realize many people don't do this and even start the day with a very robust blend. There is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

My first of the day blends, in no particular order of preference, are as follows:

Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake
Vauen No 14 Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake
Capstan Gold Navy Cut Yellow Flake or Ready Rubbed
Aylesbury Sir John's Flake Virginia

MB HH Pure Virginia could easily be on this list and occasionally gets first dibs but it's got a little more body and more often is the second smoke of the day. I think F&T Golden Mixture and SG Golden Glow could be on the list but for whatever reason, I haven't opened either for quite some time. I occasionally smoke Orlik Golden Sliced first. This blend is so versatile for me, I can enjoy it about any time of the day.

Were they still in production, Rotary Navy Cut and Klondike Gold would most certainly be on the list.

What's your morning favorites?

Last edited by a moderator:

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Like you I start mild and smoke progressively stronger as the day goes on. By evening I'm smoking dark plugs and twists, maybe dark bird's eye. Here's my first bowl rotation.

SG Golden Glow
DR Windsail Silver
Early Morning Pipe
Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
First bowl of the day for me for the last yr or so has been Haunted Bookshop. This blend is an all day blend for me. And, something I reach for when I’m not sure what to smoke, or just don’t wanna think about it. The nuttiness of crushed walnuts supported by a subtle sweetness of the Virginias is always a welcome pleasure. Then the perique tap dances in and out throughout, but not in an obtrusive or overwhelming fashion for an occasional spice note. Served always with a heaping mug of hot, black ☕️ …total morning contentment.

This blend has many detractors. Some have even called it the C&D factory floor sweepings. Good! I hope folks continue to steer the pipe smoking public away from this blend. All the more for me. ?

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I like something more bold in the morning, as a first smoke in the morning I smoke either a cuban cigar or a larger bowl of 965, Presbyterian, midnight ride (balkan with perique) or Golden Extra. I ramp down in the afternoon and smoke a Va(Per), in the evening and sometime night I ramp up again to a burley or a cigar again. But my smoking day hardly starts at a set time, sometimes I don't touch tobacco all day and start in the evening and sometimes I'm very early and stop smoking after 2 in the afternoon.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
don't really have one. I do find I prefer more natural in the afternoon and aros in the evening. But only and this is a very big only if I pay attention to trends. There a very slight but also real favoring of natural first and aro last. And that is considering aros are my least favorite style. But I almost never do them in the afternoon. My taste is more awake in the evening. Which means that things are more dimensional and I can taste more tobacco and topping too.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My favorite morning smoke is usually vanilla based. For some reason, the sweetness of the vanilla goes really well with black coffee first thing in the morning. Maybe it's the silence and solitude, or maybe it's my rare sweet tooth; but regardless, it is my favorite combination in the morning.

The vanilla tobacco preference various, whether it be more tobacco driven, like Mac Baren's Vanilla Roll Cake, or more purely aromatic, like Lane's 1-Q or Sutliff's 1-M. I didn't necessarily care for Vanilla Roll Cake at first, but it's growing on me with each bowl.

However, my favorite vanilla tobacco is likely Arrowhead from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. It's their house blend that has a rich and tasty flavor that is deeper than typical aromatics and more than just vanilla.

ashauler

Lurker
Jan 6, 2021
Wichita, KS
I have quite a range in the morning, always with strong black coffee.
If I've got a busy and hectic morning I'll usually pick up Bayou Morning, 8 State Burley, or maybe Bijou for a good kick in the pants.

If I'm taking it pretty slow I'll reach for the MacB Vanilla Roll cake or WCC Viral Vanilla for some relaxed sipping.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
At the weekend, Golden Glow - but I've found if I smoke it more often it stops being so magic.

So weekdays it's generally Kendal Gold (unflavoured, coconut, rum, or coffee) or something stronger to get me perked up for work.

The weekend Golden Glow smokes compete with Bold Kentucky, which is my go to before bed, as my favourite.