PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
The Savanelli I have is my favourite pipe. However, I agree with the 'Buy a cob and loads of tobacco' trend developing - but be thoughtful about which tobaccos. Your tastes will change.

Maybe hold onto the cash, buy a few cobs and a small range of tobacco until you start nailing down what you like. Of course, this all depends on how often you smoke and so on - if it's once a week, than one tin will probably keep you going for a year or something silly.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Buy the best pipe you can afford. If you buy two Rossi's you'll still want a Savinelli and end up buying one eventually. Not that the Savinelli is necessarily going to be a better smoker than the Rossi. But, you'll believe it will, and won't be satisfied until you see for yourself. Buy the Savinelli.
^^^^ this.
Absolutely THE best advice.
Buy the best you can afford - if not immediately, then save up for it.
Otherwise you'd be left wondering.

When I first got into smoking pipes, I came across 2 similar pipes in a shop. One was more expensive than the other because it had beautiful Birdseye grain all over. I went for the cheaper one and forever regretted that decision. There was nothing wrong with the one I bought - it just wasn't the eye-popping beauty the other one was.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I found I had to spend a lot of money to do better than my cobs.
In fact after ten years, I don't know that I have.

I find some of my other pipes more visually appealing, but I don't know that they smoke better.

I'm saying don't over think it, you are gonna have several favorites over time if you stay with it.

Reactions: FLDRD

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Side question... Is the 673 recommended to newbies because it's chunky and likely to take rookie abuse better than others? I'm speculating here of course...
I didn't mean it as broad recommendation to all newbies. I simply said that it's what I would buy if I were starting out all over again. The reason is because Savinelli pipes are reliable, affordable, and I just like the 673 shape. It feels great in hand, has a bowl size that works well for everything, and I just like bent pipes. That's it. It's not the greatest clencher, so may not be for you if you like to smoke hands-free.

Jun 23, 2019
In the generalest of term, pipes are for looking at and tobacco is for smoking. Put your money where you value it more.

Reactions: FLDRD
Mar 1, 2014
For new pipe smokers, I would never recommend a $100+ pipe as their first pipe. I'd say get a Mississippi Meerschaum (corncob) pipe, and maybe cruise fleabay for some decent, affordable restored estate pipes, smoke them, try some different tobaccos, and in 6 months or so, after you know that pipe smoking is definitely in your future (and you have a small pipe collection to rotate through), then set your sights on a good new pipe. As far as Savinelli - it's definitely one of my favorite brands - every single one of mine looks great and smokes well. I cannot say that of my Petersons (I will never buy another Peterson, matter of fact). Also, there are several affordable, good-smoking (albeit somewhat generic) pipes; Road Town and Golden Gate are a couple brands I've purchased that smoke well. The pipe smoking community seems to look down on them, due to being produced in China and Ukraine (respectively), if that matters to you.
I have to disagree with going higher end for your first pipe, there is no functional difference between almost any pipe over $50 until you get to Castello or specific artisan carvers who like an open draw, just getting a pipe that's drilled properly costs almost nothing, you have to drop really low down the ladder before the low cost has performance implications, and even then the only reason for a "cheap pipe" to be manufactured incorrectly is ignorance of the maker, but plenty of knowledgable companies make basket pipes.
The idea that cheap pipes will use low quality Briar is also easily avoided by making sure you get a factory reject from a larger brand, such as Rossi pipes being from Savinelli, or the retailer branded "basket pipes" from the U.K. (James Barber B-Line or G.Q. Tobaccos) which are almost certainly using Dunhill briar.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My best pipe is one that I waited until I had some experience before purchasing. While other brands are highly respected, Peterson has the history that resonates with me. While I do not care for most of their offerings, I do prefer the Army Mount types, and especially those with acylic stems. I settled on a Derry Rustic 408 which is a combination of three shapes. It is a good sipper.

I am then only member on this forum who uses one tobacco at a time......LOL!!

Most of my other pipes are estate finds and four cobs. My favorite cob is a Carolina Gent and a 1970's Freehand, both MM.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I think when we start out we want quantity, but soon after you only smoke the pipe you like, quality. I have maybe 20 pipes, and only smoke about 4 or 5 max, and now only buy stuff I know Ill enjoy and won’t sit around collecting dust…

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In my 50 plus years of pipe smoking I've learned a few things. One is that the pipe makes as much difference in the quality of the smoke you get as the tobacco does. Good choices for a first pipe are the Savinelli (that will take the balsa insert), any other high grade Italian, or a meerschaum (be sure to check the drilling and stem work). Some other guys recommend a Peterson, Danish or a corn cob... but then, there's no accounting for taste...or the lack of it.

puffy

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In my 50 plus years of pipe smoking I've learned a few things. One is that the pipe makes as much difference in the quality of the smoke you get as the tobacco does. << Snipped bits out >>
I see your point, but that is gross hyperbole.

Yes, there are crap pipes that won't smoke well, but for the most part, all good pipes smoke about the same, and the real differences come down to tobacco.

Eye-level

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2021
Tulsa Oklahoma
I've been at this a couple of years now and I have about 20 Edward's pipes I bought as estates off of ebay for like $20 bucks each. I currently have about a half pound + of house blends from my local tobacco store - Ted's Tulsa...a quarter mile from my house. Smoking bliss.

Just get a pipe and get after it! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gentlemancob

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
90% of what you read on the interwebs is opinionated BS…
Indeed....far too much ruddy snobbery in pipe smoking.

Back to the OP's question. I've bought some wonderful estate pipes for less than $20 if you get lucky you can as well with some patience. Having said that, I do love my Falcons and they are very affordable new.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
In an ideal world---

Find a real tobacconist's shop and ask the advice of a real tobacconist---an old guy with gray hair or maybe an eyepatch is good. Tell him you have a budget and maybe he'll guide you to the basket pipes, or maybe a propietary line with the shop's name stamped on it. Or some other brand
Pick a few shapes you like and have the clerk put a little slip of paper or plastic on the stem, then stick it in your mouth and look at yourself in the mirror.
Do you like what you see?
Ask him what makes a good pipe and if the one you selected is drilled correctly (ask him to show you.)
Did you find what you want?
Ask for some samples of tobacco. The clerk will probably give you a rough cut no-bite Burley since that is usually considered good "learner" as well as a sweet smelling aromatic since that is what most new pipe smokers want. They may even throw in a pipe nail, wooden matches and some pipe cleaners.

Then go homewith your new pipe and have fun!

Return to that tobacconist after you've smoked those samples and discuss your adventure.
Ask questions.
Buy tobacco.
Be curious about blends you read about here and elsewhere
Repeat as needed.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
A tobacconist that lets you sample a bowl, and a pipe club that will pass 'round a tin at meetings is worth seeking out in order to expand your horizons.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Over the last 10 years, I have acquired more pipes than I need. Most of these are from the Chicago Pipe Show. Actually, most are from two carvers.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm still afflicted with a touch of the PAD, but I'm beginning to understand that truly the best use of the budget, pipes or otherwise, would be for tobacco.

Truly.

I could learn how to carve a pipe a lot faster than I could learn to grow, harvest, process, cure and blend tobacco.

Cheers

Reactions: Pipespipespipes