PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HighlandRogue

Lurker
Dec 19, 2021
Florida, USA
I've been watching YouTube and reading a lot of documentation and have a question. No doubt almost everyone has recommended Savinneli, and others, for a first pipe. Ok I'm good with that. My question though... Given my budget... Would I be better off purchasing 2 Rossi or 1 Savinneli? Grated I do have my eyes set on a Savinneli Roma 207... It's tough knowing what to do. No mentor here... Just researching a lot. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Rossi pipe will be fine starting out. They are made by Savinelli, and come in standard Savinelli shapes, and have all of the good smoking characteristics of Savs. A few MM cobs to give the briar pipe a rest might be good as well. Then when you have some experience, you can reward yourself with the Savinelli with a slightly fancier finish. Budget-wise, I suggest starting out with small quantities of tobacco, one tin or an ounce or two of bulk at a time, or a pouch. Don't buy in quantity since your tastes will change. Jar anything you don't like and try it in a year. Take is slow. Don't bury yourself in blends. You have to sort of learn each one.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
90% of what you read on the interwebs is opinionated BS…

Take some time to look at different shapes and brands to get a feel for what appeals to you.

If you are fortunate enough to have a brick and mortar store nearby, go there and look around and ask questions.

If your concern is budgetary foremost, get an inexpensive cob…

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I had never heard the Savinelli first pipe thing. Maybe grab an unsmoked estate with a nice chamber. I started with my Peterson Rathbone. A Barclay-Rex pot refurbished estate I got as my first used pipe turned out to be really good, probably should have started there - I think it was $50. Get what you like, get some good ideas about how to pack it and let it come to you!

HighlandRogue

Lurker
Dec 19, 2021
Florida, USA
I had never heard the Savinelli first pipe thing. Maybe grab an unsmoked estate with a nice chamber. I started with my Peterson Rathbone. A Barclay-Rex pot refurbished estate I got as my first used pipe turned out to be really good, probably should have started there - I think it was $50. Get what you like, get some good ideas about how to pack it and let it come to you!
A Peterson was the other "first pipe" option on the list. There are definitely a few appealing offerings there.

HighlandRogue

Lurker
Dec 19, 2021
Florida, USA
A Rossi pipe will be fine starting out. They are made by Savinelli, and come in standard Savinelli shapes, and have all of the good smoking characteristics of Savs. A few MM cobs to give the briar pipe a rest might be good as well. Then when you have some experience, you can reward yourself with the Savinelli with a slightly fancier finish. Budget-wise, I suggest starting out with small quantities of tobacco, one tin or an ounce or two of bulk at a time, or a pouch. Don't buy in quantity since your tastes will change. Jar anything you don't like and try it in a year. Take is slow. Don't bury yourself in blends. You have to sort of learn each one.
I very much agree. I purchased single ounce bulk on 6 different tobaccos online and discovered a couple of things... I love 1Q and not a big fan of "whiskey" flavorings. I also like 7seas regular when I want something other than 1Q... I also got a couple Sutlif, like vanilla, that I also enjoy

HighlandRogue

Lurker
Dec 19, 2021
Florida, USA
90% of what you read on the interwebs is opinionated BS…

Take some time to look at different shapes and brands to get a feel for what appeals to you.

If you are fortunate enough to have a brick and mortar store nearby, go there and look around and ask questions.

If your concern is budgetary foremost, get an inexpensive cob…
I did get a MM Country Gentleman straight pipe and do enjoy it more than the generic "wood" pipe that came with a gift starter set I received

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Side question... Is the 673 recommended to newbies because it's chunky and likely to take rookie abuse better than others? I'm speculating here of course...
There really isn't a newbie pipe, just go with personal preference. Liking a pipe goes a long way into staying interested in smoking it. Find one in your budget that appeals to you and smoke away.?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I did get a MM Country Gentleman straight pipe and do enjoy it more than the generic "wood" pipe that came with a gift starter set I received
I had a few MM cobs years ago, I don't recall what happened to them... I still have a bunch of original Old Dominion cobs, about half of them unsmoked, which I enjoy from time to time. I see MM bought the manufacturing rights to Old Dominion recently.

Reactions: dunnyboy

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As far as cheap briars go, there's Bones, which are an excellent value for the price, the newly made Kaywoodie's aren't bad either; real cheapniss: Falcon pipes. I only bought a few because my neighbor smoked one back in the 1960's. They're not bad though. And the the old geezer in the UB40 "Red Red Wine" video has a Falcon...