Sam Gawith Pricing??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I have watched the Sam Gawith drops closely over the past week. SPC was up about a dollar per 50Gr tin (generalization). Watch City was about the same as prior drop earlier this year. The only large price jump was the $17.98/tin at Cup O Joe's and TobaccoPipes. Both of these sites have been purchased by Sutliff and Cup O Joes changed ownership just last week. So it is the Sutliff distribution sites that saw that the larger price increase.

Just FYI. I'm not making a conclusion or judgement. But it is an important fact to know when discussing the price increase issue.
Since I ordered these from Tobacco Pipes, and checked the prices from both TP and Cupojoes, I ? agree with you.

I saw a new shipping solution (Similar to retail stores like Macy’s, etc…) being used, shipped out of a warehouse in Va, etc… retail and logistics investments. I also saw price increases in other tobacco which are highly in demand.

I would assume the same as you, given my ordering experience - They have invested, and recouping the investments from tobacco which is in demand. Good thing about this is that it stays available a bit longer for people like me who grumble a bit on the price, but still opens the wallet

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
You guys notice the price hike of these blends. TP is asking for $17.98 for standard tin. Back in Jan of this year I was paying something like $13 at SP. That's a 36% jump. I know there is inflationary issues going on but that a crazy high jump. Is there some additional duty that has been levied that I am unaware of??

I'm going to have to pass at these rates. Ughhh!
Supply vs demand. Retailers don't need to discount them at all for them to sell now either.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The point I'm trying to make is that SG tobacco went up 36% in less than a year. Is this due to inflationary pressures or something else? Maybe it's a one off as I haven't seen as large a price increase other popular brands. It just an observation.

It's good for the value of my collection though. If you make 36% a year in the stock market you're doing very well. Who would have thought that tobacco can beat the S&P.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
cost of getting it to market. Seriously that's my theory. It's the one thing that makes any sense because it's really the biggest and most significant change they've made recently.

Oct 7, 2016
AFAIK, Gawith last increased their export price to distributors circa Fall, 2020. Some distributors, such as the Italian Monopoly, immediately increased the prices they charged to retailers. Others, such as the German distributor, kept their prices to retailers the same, at least temporarily.

Prior to Fall, 2020, the last increase in the export price Gawith charged to distributors was at least 5 years ago. In the U.S., at least, the distributor can charge what they want to retailers and retailers can charge as much as they want to customers. In Italy and perhaps other countries, the distributor sets the wholesale and retail price that can be charged. A tin of Squadron Leader costs the same at all shops in Italy that have a tobacco license. And some pipe shops, such as Al Pascia, aren’t licensed to sell tobacco.

When boxes return, I have no idea what the wholesale price the distributor charges to retailers will be, nor what retailers will charge. It seems that there are rumors abounding about inflation in the US. If such rumors are true, I have seen the impact inflation had on pipe tobacco in the 1970’s and early 1980’s. You have four levels of businesses fighting to maintain margins and mark ups -growers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers. Whatever price increases have occurred over the last few years will be modest compared to what might be coming.

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
They went up in Spain like two years ago, by 10% roughly. We don't have them now in the tobacco shops, but they have just announced they're coming back, so we'll see at what prices... Probably a larger increase than the last one.

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
You guys notice the price hike of these blends. TP is asking for $17.98 for standard tin. Back in Jan of this year I was paying something like $13 at SP. That's a 36% jump. I know there is inflationary issues going on but that a crazy high jump. Is there some additional duty that has been levied that I am unaware of??

I'm going to have to pass at these rates. Ughhh!
I'm pretty sure TobaccoPipes jacked the prices up just to stop people from panic buying everything til it's out of stock. It's so frustrating seeing an entire batch of something sell out in a couple days. Like with Esoterica, I've just accepted I will never get to buy some. Most of the people that panic buy this stuff already have more tobacco than they can smoke through in their lifetime.