PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Hi all, I just got into pipe smoking recently. I quit cigarettes 20 years ago after decade of chain smoking. Since then I've occasionally dabbled with cigar but found it generally too strong for my taste, or that I never learned how to smoke it properly. A random encounter with a YT video by Muttnchop Piper got me interested in tobacco pipes and since then found myself immersed in researching the various pipe shapes and tobacco blends that are available. Like many, I probably went overboard too soon with buying as many blends as I want to try. So far I'm really enjoying the taste of creamy complexity in some Balkan/English blends such as Plum Pudding and the spicy sweetness of VAPer like Match Victorian.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found this forum and have so far benefitted greatly from a wealth of opinions from past posts. I look forward to sharing and contributing to this group once I pass the newbie stage.
Good to have you! Folks here are are great with newbies. I can personally attest to it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the bay area!
Where about in the Bay?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Apologies for the late hello -- I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're in Atwater Village. Ignore the potential light-hearted ribbing you will get for being from our wonderful, smoker-friendly city.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Apologies for the late hello -- I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're in Atwater Village. Ignore the potential light-hearted ribbing you will get for being from our wonderful, smoker-friendly city.
you guessed right! Do you know of any public space near my area where I can smoke in peace? Would love to sit on a bench somewhere in Griffith Park but that seems to be out of the question.

Reactions: sablebrush52

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
you guessed right! Do you know of any public space near my area where I can smoke in peace? Would love to sit on a bench somewhere in Griffith Park but that seems to be out of the question.
I guess there is no smoking allowed in parks. You could pretend not to speak the language and act like they're being friendly. Though that wouldn't be peaceful might be entertaining.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I don't (which may put the lie to my description of LA!). But I'm not too familiar with that part of town. I think you still can smoke on the beaches.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome from the Center Of The Known Universe!

Burbank

I used to enjoy smoking my pipe in the Park, particularly at this time of year when the DWP used to sponsor their Festival Of Lights, with about a half mile of animating Christmas light displays along Zoo Drive. I'd settle on a hay bale and listen to the Christmas music being piped through the trees, and enjoy watching the displays and others strolling along the road, which was closed to traffic so people could enjoy the show.

Unfortunately all that came to an end about 13 years ago after three disastrous fires hit the park in the course of a few months, nearly engulfing the Griffith Park Observatory and Planetarium. Seems two of those fires were traced back to smokers who lacked even the minute amount of intelligence it takes to smoke.

The Park is covered with highly combustible brush and is very dry due to years of drought. So it's better and safer to find another place to enjoy your pipe. I usually walk through my neighborhood, enjoying my pipe in peace. Been doing this for decades. Have probably logged a good 10,000 miles of lunting and have yet to get any guff from anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.