PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob NC

Lurker
Dec 1, 2021
North Carolina
Here’s just about everything there is to know about me.

I started pipe smoking in 1983. I have about 60 pipes. It’s not a collection though, just an accumulation. I have some nice pipes (James Upshall, Charatan, Castello, Ascorti) and some beaters (EA Carey!), but Peterson and Stanwell are the most represented in my racks.

Once I could afford it, I set out to buy some of the great “factory pipes” I fell in love with in the ‘80s, but were out of my reach.

I have never spent the money on a high grade Artisan pipe, and probably never will. I’m just a smoker, not a collector.

My Dad didn’t smoke a pipe, but both my Grandfathers did. One had Dunhills and smoked latakia mixtures. One had Grabows and Kaywoodies and smoked nothing but Velvet.

At times I have been that guy who meticulously cleans and maintains his pipe after each smoke as though he were going to sell it (even though I have never sold a pipe). At other times I have been that guy who smokes the same tobacco in the same pipe for 3 days.

I used to be an active member at the old smokers forums.co.uk. After a long layoff I looked for them and they were gone. So I joined another group - and they disappeared yesterday. Just as well, didn’t seem like the place for me.

I taught at a university in PA for 25 years, retired in June, and moved to NC a month ago.

Looking forward to getting to know the group!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. You sound properly steeped in pipes. We have a variety here, which is part of the fun -- all cob smokers to people with vast collections of artisan pipes, all-Falcon smokers, and factory pipe collectors. Lots of expertise too.

Reactions: SBC

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Welcome from New Zealand, what topics were you teaching out of curiosity? And also, did you smoke your pipe while lecturing? leather patches on your elbows? (last question can be ignored, I get carried away)

Reactions: Rob NC

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here’s just about everything there is to know about me.

I started pipe smoking in 1983. I have about 60 pipes. It’s not a collection though, just an accumulation. I have some nice pipes (James Upshall, Charatan, Castello, Ascorti) and some beaters (EA Carey!), but Peterson and Stanwell are the most represented in my racks.

Once I could afford it, I set out to buy some of the great “factory pipes” I fell in love with in the ‘80s, but were out of my reach.

I have never spent the money on a high grade Artisan pipe, and probably never will. I’m just a smoker, not a collector.

My Dad didn’t smoke a pipe, but both my Grandfathers did. One had Dunhills and smoked latakia mixtures. One had Grabows and Kaywoodies and smoked nothing but Velvet.

At times I have been that guy who meticulously cleans and maintains his pipe after each smoke as though he were going to sell it (even though I have never sold a pipe). At other times I have been that guy who smokes the same tobacco in the same pipe for 3 days.

I used to be an active member at the old smokers forums.co.uk. After a long layoff I looked for them and they were gone. So I joined another group - and they disappeared yesterday. Just as well, didn’t seem like the place for me.

I taught at a university in PA for 25 years, retired in June, and moved to NC a month ago.

Looking forward to getting to know the group!
hey I clean toilets at a university in PA on break at the moment actually. So I have to ask which university?

• Haha
Reactions: SBC and Rob NC

Rob NC

Lurker
Dec 1, 2021
North Carolina
Welcome from New Zealand, what topics were you teaching out of curiosity? And also, did you smoke your pipe while lecturing? leather patches on your elbows? (last question can be ignored, I get carried away)
I taught acting and voice for the stage. Leather patches....yes, I do have a jacket with patches! :) Smoking in class, no, although I could smoke in my office the first couple years I was there. I'm old enough to remember smoking in class in undergrad school in the '70s.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I taught acting and voice for the stage. Leather patches....yes, I do have a jacket with patches! :) Smoking in class, no, although I could smoke in my office the first couple years I was there. I'm old enough to remember smoking in class in undergrad school in the '70s.
you can still smoke in your office it is just something you can get fired for! there are some people that smoke in their offices and get away with it oh at psu

Status
Not open for further replies.