PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Thomas Hinds Tobacconist
Toronto, Canada

Last week after getting off work a little early I noticed I wasn't too far from the Tobacconist in town so I decided to pop in as I haven't been there since I first started smoking a pipe a little over a year ago now. He started me on a blend when I first bought my pipe there after explaining what kinds of flavors I enjoy and after a brief "interview" we decided that aromatics were not for me. I ended up with something he called "Powder Keg" which was amazing. Fast forward a year later after trying a bunch of different very high quality and highly rated tobaccos in the community via online orders I realized that what my tobacconist had blended in shop was extremely high quality and went toe to toe with all of the more well known blends.

So I head in there last week and he wasn't busy so after talking about pipes and cigars and different things we started on the topic of McClelland's closing and he was just as sad as the rest of the community even saying, "I remember coming into work the day after they closed and it was a sad, sad day." He expressed his love of Frog Morton and their other high quality blends. He then said hold on a second I think I have something here you might find interesting. So he crouched behind the counter and began pulling things from cupboards, various baggies of tobacco and jars and dusty boxes and then he found it at last! "Ah, here it is" he said. He then pulled out a big bag of perique with the stamp of McClelland on it and I thought that was so cool. He then said if you don't already have at tobacco in mind that you want to go home with today I would like to make you a blend from scratch. I of course obliged and he pulled out his scale that looked like it was from the early 1900's and all of his bags and began mixing a blend special for me. Red Virginia ribbon, Burley, Latakia and the Perique from the dusty bag. He was enjoying it so much and was saying it's really nice to see younger pipe smokers who are into experiencing nice tobaccos and not some of the crappy aromatics you find out there.

After all was said and done he packaged it up for me and said now I urge you to try a little bowl when you go home but after that don't touch it for a month or two! This left me with such a good feeling and I absolutely cannot wait to try it! Watching someone who is really proficient in their craft do something out of pure joy and passion is so great and true tobacconists are a rare breed.

I left that shop with a feeling that will stick with me for a very, very long time!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a true old style pipe shop experience. It won't happen every time you stop by, but now and then the magic happens.

Reactions: SBC and AlanH

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Speaking of Perique.... I used to occasionally make up of blend of Perique and Latakia 50/50. It made an interesting smoke, but not something you would want for a steady diet. Try it if you're feeling brave.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I used to work down the street from that shop for about a decade.m, and got a cigar there once. I didn’t smoke a pipe the entire time I lived in Toronto! Such a missed opportunity.

Sounds like a great place, probably clinging on for dear life.

Reactions: SBC and TheWhale13

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
A great read.

There's a JB Priestley essay somewhere lamenting the demise of UK tobacconists doing much the same before generic mixtures came along, their role being to create and note the preferred blend for each of their customers.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Oh man, there was a day when "tobacconist" meant "tobacconist," not "tobacco retailer." I guess that some of the Old Guard here have experienced it, but guys my age never do... unless, apparently, they live in Toronto!
Good for you. The rest of us are jealous ;-)

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A great read.

There's a JB Priestley essay somewhere lamenting the demise of UK tobacconists doing much the same before generic mixtures came along, their role being to create and note the preferred blend for each of their customers.
If you find it, please post it here!

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
The old school days we all dream of. I'd suggest it isn't just with tobacconists. Remember when you could go into a shop and the people that worked there actually knew about the products they were selling? Maybe that is finally starting to turn around. Hope so.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I used to hate high school a lot, as there was a lot of essay writing assignments and I was really bad a << Snipped bits out >> to buy essays on this site for a minimal amount, as the requirements for the text at school were not high, so the pros would do it in just hours.
downlottead.jpg

Spam link removed in this reply.

Last edited by a moderator: