PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
So I like 7 seas and rum. IQ is good I'm really into the more sweet spectrum. But all of them so far a good. Guess I'm looking for my mood
We kid a lot here, Jesse. It’s all in good fun. —MacBarren Navy Flake has a light rum topping. It’s pricey but a very nice tobacco for you to consider. - Sweet in taste vs Sweet in aroma are very different things. Time will show this to you. Most new to pipe smoking are initially drawn to Aromatics which often don’t taste anything like they smell. Whereas, tobacco leaf, by itself, can taste delicious , sweet or savory.

Peterson University Flake - a nice berry taste.

Orlik Golden Sliced - a nice citrus flavor.

These are tobacco forward blends that you can readily taste.

Last edited:

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’d suggest some TheStorytellerspipe house blends.
Also, when P&C has them on sale, the 6 pouch sample of Brigadier Black, they’ve two vanilla, a cherry blend, a chocolate and nougat blend, a Peach blend.
Boswell’s also has several Aros that are quite good... Christmas Cookie???? And I like their Apple Streudel.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
All I know is, @sablebrush52 is bound to have a nice long talk with you about your choice of screen name...

Mac Baren is a good standby when it comes to aromatics that don't overwhelm you. Original Choice and Vanilla Roll Cake are two that come to mind right away. The 7 Seas line is excellent, but a one-way ticket to goop city unless you give 'em good dry time. Likewise with most Sutliff aros. Another two mild ones that deserve a mention here are Hearth & Home Caramel Apple Pie and Stanwell Kir & Apple.

See everyone? I can be helpful sometimes! ?

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My suggestion is that instead of focusing solely on aromatics that you might benefit from sampling across the tobacco spectrum, a least a bit. To that end, i recommend trying the Amphora line ( made by MacBaren): original, full aroma, burley, virginia and English. They have others as well, but these will give you a chance to find what types of blends you might enjoy. They are well made and the cost is reasonable. I have lots more expensive blends in my cellar, but I still smoke Amphora full aroma reguarly. Amphora's return to the market has been a good thing.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Of all the ways to smoke tobacco, pipe smoking is the only one that involves a degree of skill, or perhaps more properly it’s a learned behavior.

After fifty years I can take any pipe, and any commercial tobacco, and enjoy it. When I started it but my tongue amd the pipe gurgled and I had a hard time keeping it lit, and I didn’t know how to pack it.

The tobacco, that popularized pipe smoking in America, was Prince Albert in 1907. It primarily is low nicotine, mild as a cigarette (and even tastes good in cigarettes), flavor infused lower leaves of burley. I still have two tubs of it around, because it tastes great and smells divine.

Other good starter (and also for experienced pipe smoker) brands are Carter Hall, Velvet, and Sir Walter Raleigh.

Then try what I consider the king of “drug store blends”, Half and Half.

Get a tamper, and use it.

Keep your pipe clean.

Puff slow.

A brand new briar should be smoked at least ten times before you judge how it smokes.

The old standard American “drug store” blends used to come with free cigarette papers. They’ve likely changed the blends a little, but not much.

My advice is learn on those, then try a mild commercial higher end aromatic such as any flavor of Captain Black or Borkum Riff, then on to “pipe shop” blends.

Eventually you’ll have pounds of Virginias, English blends; and “pipe shop” aromatics.

But it’s hard to beat Prince Albert, to start.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I strongly recommend the following:
Vanilla: D40 Sutliff, MacBaren Vanilla Flake
Cherry: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco Cherry Smash, Lane Limited Very Cherry, Cult Blood Red Moon
Chocolate: Boswell P&T Chocolate Cream, Kendal's Chocolate Flake, Sutliff Hot Chocolate
Creamy: Sutliff Irish Cream, Sutliff Brandy Alexander, Sutliff Molto Dulce, Cult Abacus
Woody: Stag Tobacconist's Snowcap blend (equal parts Sutliff SPS-3 Cherry, Lane Limited CAO, Sutliff Black Cavendish RL-734)
Rum: Sutliff Voodoo Queen, Sutliff Private Stock Barbados Plantation
Berry: Panta Anno MMVIII
Mint: Don't.

Reactions: Briar Lee and STP

Jesse #1

Lurker
Nov 14, 2021
Sanger CA
All I know is, @sablebrush52 is bound to have a nice long talk with you about your choice of screen name...

Mac Baren is a good standby when it comes to aromatics that don't overwhelm you. Original Choice and Vanilla Roll Cake are two that come to mind right away. The 7 Seas line is excellent, but a one-way ticket to goop city unless you give 'em good dry time. Likewise with most Sutliff aros. Another two mild ones that deserve a mention here are Hearth & Home Caramel Apple Pie and Stanwell Kir & Apple.

See everyone? I can be helpful sometimes! ?
I like 7 seas got some of that. Might try the caramel apple ?